Redfish at night

Bobbrown

I’ve been following walking dead’s shrimp posts. Seems like he does fairly well on bull reds off the Jekyll pier at night. Was wondering if night is the time to fish for them. Also...are the bull reds at the pier due to artificial light or would night be just as effective in the surf or river away from lights.

WalkinDead

Banned
We catch them during the day also, not just at night. Most of the night fishing is done after we go seining for shrimp and it's an early night. There are times when we go fishing first, then go seining, depends on the tides. We not only catch them from the pier, we also catch them from the beach by the pier. Depends on whether we are fishing with our friends, who prefer to fish off the pier, or by ourselves. We prefer to fish off the beach, no chance to lose them on the pylons.
The lights on the pier are rather pathetic, I usually carry a drop cord and light for visibility when fishing at night on the pier. I doubt they have much effect on the fishing due to the lack of water clarity.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think the lights attract bait fish at night. Which in turn gets the reds up off the bottom.
These two (in Florida panhandle) were caught site casting jig-and-plastics under the lights at chasing fish. It is a thrill to see them turn on your bait and take it into the darkness and structure pulling drag.
I think the fishing at night in other areas could be good, but not the same as fish actively chasing bait...

image.jpg
IMG_20190412_232030.jpg

Good luck!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
These were caught under a bridge with a LOT of light...

WalkinDead

Banned
Either tide works for the redfish, we chose the tides for the shrimping. Caught these a couple days ago out in front of St. Simon's.

Attachments

• Red10.jpg
    Red10.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Red11.jpg
    Red11.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 29

LittleDrummerBoy

On the Gulf coast, where I catch most of my redfish, there is no preference for night over day. We catch most of ours during the day, because fishing at night is harder. There is a preference for moving water. Crab is the superior bait most of the time.
Big Redfish.jpg

Geno67

No difference in day or night. Main thing is they have to be wherever you're fishing. They're not particularly difficult to catch. Falling tide and use a big crab where they are (drop off right outside of bay mouths are the best). They'll show up on the beaches here in a couple of weeks and the tide means even less.