Remembering Buddy Holly

Redbow

Charles Hardin Holly better known as Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash along with Richie Valens, Jiles Perry Richardson aka The Big Bopper and the pilot of the aircraft Roger Peterson on this day in 1959 near Clear Lake Iowa. Buddy Holly and the Crickets were a popular and upcoming rock n roll group of musicians and singers.

You might remember this song by Don McLean " The Day The Music Died" or Bye Bye Miss American Pie, took my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry. Good ole boys drinking whiskey and rye, singing this'll be the day that I die.

Three young singers tragically left this life much too soon but many have not forgotten them over the years. I well remember the day this tragedy happened. Waylon Jennings was scheduled to be on this flight but Richardson the Big Bopper was sick with the flu so Jennings let him go in his place. Tommy Allsup Holly's lead guitar player at the time flipped a coin with Richie Valens for a seat on the plane, Valens won therefore sealing his fate on that dark stormy night. Valens was the youngest of the group, only 17 years old. The rest were in their twenties including the pilot Roger Peterson. It has been said that Peterson was not qualified to fly by instruments and should not have been in the pilots seat. Also Peterson was trained by the same flight instructor that trained Jim Reeves another singer that was killed in July 1964 when the airplane he was piloting crashed just outside Nashville Tennessee.

RIP fellows a few of us still miss you.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Waylon was supposed to be on that flight with Buddy but changed his mind at the last moment and rode on the bus.

campboy

I knew that Jim Reeves (also one of my Dad's favorites) lost his life in a plane crash but I didn't know he was at the controls

Redbow

I knew that Jim Reeves (also one of my Dad's favorites) lost his life in a plane crash but I didn't know he was at the controls

Yes, Jim Reeves had just bought that new airplane from what was said about his purchase of that plane he just wasn't at the stage as a pilot to fly it. Being who he was so I have read his instructor gave him a thumbs up anyway. Jim's piano player and manager Dean Manuel was with Jim on that day. Jim flew into a violent thunderstorm just outside of Nashville Tennessee and so is thought he became disoriented with the bad weather he was in and paid the price with his life along with his passenger. Jim was deathly afraid of lightning as his brother was killed by it. A senseless death of 2 more entertainers that should never have happened.

Resica

Buddy Holly was the best!!! Blows Elvis away in my opinion, and so young. Richie Valens was great too! Buddy is like Skynyrd to me, never heard a bad song!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yes, Jim Reeves had just bought that new airplane from what was said about his purchase of that plane he just wasn't at the stage as a pilot to fly it. Being who he was so I have read his instructor gave him a thumbs up anyway. Jim's piano player and manager Dean Manuel was with Jim on that day. Jim flew into a violent thunderstorm just outside of Nashville Tennessee and so is thought he became disoriented with the bad weather he was in and paid the price with his life along with his passenger. Jim was deathly afraid of lightning as his brother was killed by it. A senseless death of 2 more entertainers that should never have happened.

The v tailed Bonanza became known as the Doctor/Lawyer killer for just this reason. Lots of folks with money got more plane than they were ready for.

GeorgiaBob

Lot of singers lost to small plane crashes back then. It was just 4 years after Buddy, Richie, and the Big Bopper died that Patsy Cline died in another small plane crash. A whole lot of truly great musicians fell out of the sky over the years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Would Buddy pull his songs off spotify?
He would be 85 now, and probably an old curmudgeon if still alive. He was from Texas, you know. :)

Hard to believe he died at 22 years old.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Buddy Holly was the best!!! Blows Elvis away in my opinion, and so young. Richie Valens was great too! Buddy is like Skynyrd to me, never heard a bad song!!
Still got all of Dad's old 45's, including all of Elvis, Richie, Buddy, Big Bopper, Jim Reeves, Hank Sr., and many more plus 33's. Music I grew up on, never knew what a radio was till I was in 5th grade (1975).

Redbow

Lot of singers lost to small plane crashes back then. It was just 4 years after Buddy, Richie, and the Big Bopper died that Patsy Cline died in another small plane crash. A whole lot of truly great musicians fell out of the sky over the years.

Yes, Patsy Cline along with Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas and I think the pilot was Hawkshaw's son in law. So tragic and so many have died in plane crashes. Jim Croce, Ricky Nelson 2 more that died way too soon.

I can't leave out John Denver.

Resica

Dad's buddy died in the last few years. When dad went to visit the grave, there were 2 people at the grave beside him. When they left he walked over and took a look at it. It was Jim Croce's grave. He was a good one too!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I built a building and was ready to move to Clear Lake, IA from Utah. Was about to sign the paperwork for it on Clear Lake. There's nothing in that town.

treemanjohn

Banned
Bruce could've handled that plane
Screenshot_20220203-165923_Brave.jpg