Rental Cars

dbodkin

When I travel on business the company always has us decline the insurance offered by the car rental companies. Pretty steep 20-30 dollars a day. I wonder about liability for leisure travel. Will my own car insurance company cover me if I crash a rental car?? At $25 a day it's almost the cost of the rental itself.... Anybody know or have a story?

Skipper

Banned
Actually, it depends on state law as to who's insurance is primary. In Kentucky, the car rental place must have the primary liability. Otherwords, their insurance pays before yours. In some states it is the other way around. You insurance company will likely conform to the state laws where you live. Of course you are probably renting the car outside the state you live in.

You would be safer in most cases to pay the extra $25 for the insurance. On commercial liability policies like your employer has, they have a section called "Hired and Non-owned Auto" that will deal with rental cars from their stand point. You don't have that on a personal auto policy.

Skipper

SlipperyHill Mo

Yes, mine does.

I wrecked a rental car once and my insurance company. State Farm paid the claim, less my deductible.

I have been travelling for business and pay my own expenses for over 20 years. I never get the additional insurance and it has saved me $$$$$$$$$.

teethdoc

StateFarm told me not to get the ins. on a rental b/c my particular policy covered a rental. Just ask your agent if your's covers it.

rip18

We're usually covered 2 ways: 1) We have a rider on our insurance policy (because of my wife's work requirements) for non-owned vehicles and 2) our credit card has some kind of policy that covers vehicles rented using that particular card.

dbodkin

Found this out...

If you use VISA to charge the full rental cost they will cover you...