Rest in Peace Tom T. Hall

Gator89

Thank you for all of the great songs.

SiriusXM remembers Tom T. Hall, dead at 85
August 20, 2021

Tom-T.-Hall_16x9.png

SiriusXM is sad to report that Tom T. Hall has passed away at the age of 85. SiriusXM honors the legacy of Hall on Willie’s Roadhouse (Ch. 59), Outlaw Country (Ch. 60), and Bluegrass Junction (Ch. 62). A Grammy-winning singer, songwriter and author of novels and short stories, Tom T. Hall was renowned as “The Storyteller” for the unique narrative style in his songwriting.
Born in Olive Hill, Kentucky, Hall worked as DJ before arriving in Nashville in 1964. He signed on as a songwriter for Jimmy C. Newman’s publishing company, scoring his first major hit in 1986 with “Harper Valley PTA” for Jeannie C. Riley.
Hits of his own followed, including classics like “Homecoming,” “The year Clayton Delaney Died,” and “Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine” and he topped both the pop and country charts in 1975 with “I Love.”
Hall’s songs have been covered and become hits for many other country stars, and later in life he and his late wife Dixie co-wrote songs and produced records for their own bluegrass label, Home Grown Music.
He was inducted into the Kentucky Hall of Fame in 2002, the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008 and the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in 2019.
Tom T. Hall will be missed, but the words of music of “The Storyteller” will live forever.
tr

Last edited:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Turn it on,turn it on,turn it on

ryork

One of my favorites!

The Year Clayton Delaney Died is probably my favorite song of his. His wife was a very accomplished song writer as well.

Redbow

RIP Tom T. Hall, you were one of my favorites with country music. I hope I get to visit with you one day on, "The Old Side of Town".

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
One of the best ever. Probably the best story telling song writer ever. Funny how things work. The day he passed Sturgill Simpson released a concept album that tells a series of stories that make up a an overarching linear story that I bet Tom would have enjoyed. RIP Tom T. Hall.

GeorgiaGlockMan

That was Hoyt Axton, but it was a "stuck in your head" kind of song.
Lol.

I used to take road trips with my uncle Jerry when I was a kid when he was driving thru TX bidding on construction jobs.

He was a tom t hall fan big time. I heard that song for the first time with him on one of those trips playing on the radio. I always thought it was mr hall.

Now I know better. Thanks.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Wish I could get hold of some watermelon wine today so I could toast him. You were good Tom.