Riding Mower Question - Craftsman DYT 4000

jonboyb

Excuse the long-winded post.....but bear with me.

My neighbor bought a Craftsman DYT 4000 42" 2-blade rider a couple years ago and it mowed horribly......yard looked awful. He paid a fortune having to buy right at season start too (like $1600 and change). I told him he needed to level it properly, not sure he ever did. He put 50 hours on it total and parked it paying someone else to mow. Never tried to fix the issue or take it back.

Fast forward, he's moved to a townhouse and offered the mower to me at a pretty decent price. I took it needing a new one pretty soon myself thinking I'd fix it quickly. It was leveled correctly but cut very uneven with an obvious height difference in the middle between the 2 blades. I assumed blades and replaced them, no change. Assumed mandrel housings or shafts and replaced them, no change. Started measuring the blade heights off leveled concrete and both blades dead level but the right blades sitting 1/4" higher than the left blade. Pulley heights also 1/4" off. Pulled deck apart to make sure something wasn't right but matched manual. In my normal redneck fashion, I fixed the issue by shimming the 3 mandrel mounting points down 1/4" and it mows glass smooth now.

My question is does anyone think there's any harm shimming the mandrel off the deck by 1/4"? I used hardened washers and quite frankly didn't see an option short of buying a new deck. The deck shows no damage and still looks brand new so apparently there was a manufacturing flaw from the factory. I think the fix is adequate, but don't want to harm the mower or myself and would love some advice. Thanks.

BriarPatch99

Will not hurt anything .... may change the airflow slightly .... may get some dirt/sand/clippings pushed through the gap ...

If it is an even gap all the way around ... you could cut a one piece "washer" ... but I wouldn't worry about it ...

280bst

Will not hurt anything .... may change the airflow slightly .... may get some dirt/sand/clippings pushed through the gap ...

If it is an even gap all the way around ... you could cut a one piece "washer" ... but I wouldn't worry about it ...

I would do 2 more things make sure the one you shimmed is the right piece to start with in relation to the other 2. If it cut that badly from the get go I would think some part got mis-matched. I would make sure the shims stay tight. Good Luck, glad to see red neck fixin is alive and well just don't let the P.C. police know

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have a Craftsman 2 blade that I got for free and it had a service tag on it as it would mow very uneven. First things first. Replace or at least check the blades to make sure they are not bent.
THEN start to adjust the Deck as needed. While you would think it should be the same on each side, it may not be the case.
After getting sick and tired of mowing the yard Twice each time with it to get an even mow(Basically mowing the entire lawn with the one blade), I finally started to Drastically adjust the deck to whatever it took to get it right.....before you do any cutting or shimming Adjust adjust adjust and dont worry about the right side being at the same thread count as the left side and the same with the front side adjustments. You should have 4 places to adjust the deck........Blades first, then the deck. My mower works great now but I think the deck is bent, which is why I had to adjust so drastically...good luck and let us know how it turned out.

jonboyb

It mows great after shimming....leveling, blades, and entire mandrel/spindle assemblies were changed out beforehand. When the deck was stamped or however it was manufactured, one of the mandrel mounting surfaces was finished either to high or low depending on which one is the culprit. At least now I have spare blades and mandrels if needed:bounce:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It mows great after shimming....leveling, blades, and entire mandrel/spindle assemblies were changed out beforehand. When the deck was stamped or however it was manufactured, one of the mandrel mounting surfaces was finished either to high or low depending on which one is the culprit. At least now I have spare blades and mandrels if needed:bounce:

SWEET!:clap:

Hoot

As a side note, in case you aren't aware, Sears has a great online parts store for Craftsman mowers. You can look up the part you need by description or visually on diagrams, and have the parts shipped to your door. Or, you can look up the part number there, then find it even cheaper on eBay.

Bob Shaw

I bent the deck on my Toro, when I picked-up a piece of concrete that I'd mowed over probably a hundred times before. Tore-up the blade but would never cut right after that. New deck from Toro was over $600. Well since I knew where the concrete wedged in the deck, and after measuring to be sure how much it was out, I blocked-up the opposite side of the mandrel with a block of wood, set a block of wood on top of the other side, and hit it a lick with the flat side of a digging stake. When I re-measured, the blades were less than 1/4 inch off. Went out and mowed and it mowed like new. Like I've said, I'd rather be lucky than good anytime.

Last edited:

cjones

Glad to see someone else is having trouble with these decks as well. I spent several hours this weekend laying on my side trying to level the blades on my Craftsman DLT 3000. I got it to 'tolerable', but it still isn't 'good'. I'll have to check and see if I can do some redneck fixing with shims, too.