Right or wrong

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I can see the points for those who respect others property, and I feel like I do too. But I have no qualms using a leaner type stand left on public land.…..a climber at the base of a tree would be off limits, though. I wouldn’t damage or take a leaner, but I’d sure sit in it as I have many times. I can think of 5 off hand and only 2 are basically weathered and unusable. There are many stands on public land, not counting a dozen remnants of stands hunted long ago.

This one is sure going downhill fast. OP good luck with your hunt. Post up some pics.
Yes, but I’d still hunt it! I’m just bummed one of the stands I first found was at Pinelog. It was a 2 person leaner. I put a new strap on it and retaped the rail a few years back…..left a cushion on it too.

ucfireman

do you think it would ok for me to sit in your truck while u r hunting public land
If it was left way past the time it was supposed to be left for (days to years, not hours), yes, I would consider it abandoned.
The Game warden would too and have it towed away.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It’s not your property, what is so difficult about understanding that. If a violation was associated with that stand folks would be screaming it’s not mine. Leave folks property be, simple concept. If the stand is illegally placed DNR will deal with it.

I‘d have no hesitation hunting close by if no one was in the stand.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No use in letting a good stand go to waste and probably kill the tree because someone was to lazy to follow the law and remove it after the hunt

basshappy

BANNED
Unlikely maybe, but could be any number of reasons the stand was left by the one who placed it, including but not limited to;
- owner got lost on way out and couldn't find way back to stand
- owner sustained a head injury before returning to retrieve the stand that wiped out his/her memory of the stand
- owner passed away before retrieving the stand
- owner had an emergency with higher priority than retrieving the stand, time marched on, and owner decided not to retrieve the stand

The list of possible rreasons is endless. Might not have anything pertaining to disrespect, lazy, etc.

I would drop a pin and speak with DNR. If it has been that long it might be a safety hazard and DNR might go in and retrieve it.

It once was owned by someone, but if it has been there for years and neglected it is likely abandoned. You could print out and laminate a note and tape it to the stand.

I wonder how long some would let a bicycle or ball sit in their yard or a median near their home before doing something about the object.

ucfireman

I wonder how long some would let a bicycle or ball sit in their yard or a median near their home before doing something about the object.
I was on my way tp work one morning. There was a mountain bike -laying on the sidewalk in front of a church, probably 700-1000 feet to the nearest house.
I put in my truck and didn't think twice. Not an expensive bike but it Rides nice.
I was not there on my way home so it was less than 48 hours.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was on my way tp work one morning. There was a mountain bike -laying on the sidewalk in front of a church, probably 700-1000 feet to the nearest house.
I put in my truck and didn't think twice. Not an expensive bike but it Rides nice.
I was not there on my way home so it was less than 48 hours.
I don’t believe you.

Hillbilly stalker

I don’t believe you.
Pretty bad to put the church janitor to walking aint it ? I don’t think anybody would steal from a church yard either. Shouldn’t have to nail your stuff down at church.:huh:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Not even if it was all ya had to hunt ?

I'd either put the touch on a homeskillet or go fishing. There's too many bad stories coming out of public land for me and I'm way too used to drama free hunting to give it up.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Pretty bad to put the church janitor to walking aint it ? I don’t think anybody would steal from a church yard either. Shouldn’t have to nail your stuff down at church.:huh:
Old church out here got broke into. They stole the old piano. I seen it leave. It was on the back of a jeep covered. Didn’t know it at the time. Ride down to tge church and front doors was broken into.
Went and told the lady over the church. It’s a historic site.
I hope every day they look at it. They proud. Cause one day...... well u know.

ucfireman

I don’t believe you.

For clarification, The bike was not on the sidewalk at the church. It was on the sidewalk that runs along Hwy 92 in front of the church.
I would not go onto the chruch grounds and take the bike.

It was on the sidewalk along Hwy 92 which is public property and no where near any houses. Its not like someone just left it beside their driveway or something. This stretch of 92 is 4 lanes with a turn lane in the middle.

1694042625905.png

bassculler

It’s public land…..not a public stand. I won’t hunt another man’s stand. He took the time and physical effort to put it there…..respect that. Be a man about it. Nothing wrong whatsoever with climbing or hunting right beside it if no one’s there. He doesn’t own the land but owns the stand. If he’s running late or works/hunts odd hours, so be it. It’s still his stand. The big fad with horn hunters is to hunt late morning or middle of the day. It’s first come first serve with the area, but the stand itself is different to me. People get dropped off at places all the time to hunt,if I see someone in an area I want to hunt, I cut a wide swap away from them. If I caught someone toting my stand out of the woods because they thought it was abandoned…..we would get dirty right there. I can’t stand a thief, if you know it’s not yours, leave it alone. If a man is so righteous and law abiding, call the game warden and let him handle it, that’s legal.
To each his own. But, in my opinion, the minute he put said stand on public land it became a community stand. Stealing it is definitely wrong, but hunting it is perfectly right.
It’s not your property, what is so difficult about understanding that. If a violation was associated with that stand folks would be screaming it’s not mine. Leave folks property be, simple concept. If the stand is illegally placed DNR will deal with it.

I‘d have no hesitation hunting close by if no one was in the stand.
Id sit my 6-2 235lb fat self right down in it. The minute it was put on public land is the minute it became a community stand.

Hillbilly stalker

For clarification, The bike was not on the sidewalk at the church. It was on the sidewalk that runs along Hwy 92 in front of the church.
I would not go onto the chruch grounds and take the bike.

It was on the sidewalk along Hwy 92 which is public property and no where near any houses. Its not like someone just left it beside their driveway or something. This stretch of 92 is 4 lanes with a turn lane in the middle.

View attachment 1252618
It still wasn’t your bike. Somebody , maybe a kid, might have had to hit the woods for a couple minutes to handle some business. They walking now.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
To each his own. But, in my opinion, the minute he put said stand on public land it became a community stand. Stealing it is definitely wrong, but hunting it is perfectly right.

Id sit my 6-2 235lb fat self right down in it. The minute it was put on public land is the minute it became a community stand.
I hope I never have moment of forgetfulness around you and leave my keys in the car at a WMA.

Blackston

I'd either put the touch on a homeskillet or go fishing. There's too many bad stories coming out of public land for me and I'm way too used to drama free hunting to give it up.
I’d have to go somewhere I love it to much …. But I respect your stance as I’m sure u respect mine

tad1

The situation is context sensitive. Fresh obviously recently hung or maintained stand, not going to hunt it.
Climbing stand, even less likely to hunt it, although, if neglected or abandoned would readily consider it.
I’ve run across a bunch of abandoned and hunted them some too. Would gladly improve them, embellish them, hunt them, possibly move them, etc.
Stands are abandoned with surprising regularity! Have found a bunch left on both private and public. We have a heck of a time hunting/attending to all the ones even on private property.
Now that I’m thinking about it, there’s a spot I’ve been wanting to hang a ladder on the WMA. If I see u sitting it, hope you have a nice hunt. (I’d appreciate the first sit)