Ring Doorbell

hopper

Thinking of getting something like the Ring. I have no experience at all. My Jeep, work trailer and boat all sit in the front and would like something to view who enters my driveway. Also kinda looked at simply safe system.
What do yall have experience with. User friendly is a plus.

Last edited:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I use eufy, arlo is just as good. Most the new home bases will accept other camera brands up to 12 cameras I think. No experience with ring though

Pig Predator

Eufy pics up objects from 40 feet away easily. You can set up hot spots and more detecting in certain areas on the feed.

Cool Hand Luke

I put in the Blink sold by Amazon. Battery powered and very easy to install as long as you have a wireless router. Took me less than an hour to install system and 4 cameras.

Lukikus2

If you have wifi. Blink hands down. You don't pay anyone monthly and it pics up sounds great.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
We went a bit old school I guess. Found a flash sale, and I decided to get a Reolink 4K 4-camera NVR (continuous recording) system. It's a POE (power over ethernet) system, you would need to run Cat5 network style cable to each camera, cables are included. It's pretty easy to install, and the clarity is amazing.

A bit pricey up front, but no monthly fees, no Wi-Fi dropouts to worry about, batteries to change or charge. It is expandable up to 8 cameras. Each camera has great audio capabilities.

Download the Reolink app and you can view the cameras from your phone, computer, etc. Some argue the presence of cameras is better than an alarm system.
Reolink 4K 4 camera NVR system

Like this video shows, we probably watch wildlife more than anything else. Night vision is infrared supported and the image is black and white.

Wire Nut

Ring door bells work good. I’ve installed a bunch of them. Most all camera door bells will work with the wiring that you already have so you don’t have to charge them. If you have a flood light on the corner of your garage put a camera flood light and leave the switch on. Camera and light work on motion and you don’t have to run a cat5 wire. Camera operates on wifi

Hillbilly stalker

My buddy has the "Blink" system, its something to see the quality of the nighttime photos it gets without extra lighting. He is well pleased with it.

Pig Predator

Here is eufy at night. Last night actually. I have to charge the camera every 3-4 months. Depends on how you have it set up. Shorter videos= longer battery charge. This camera is 60 yards away from the home base. It is all wireless with the exception of power to the base and wifi/router. What has impressed me the most is the system still works if the power and wifi goes out, you just don't get notified and cant use the system until power and wifi are back on. Our power was out for 3 days one time last year and when power was restored all the recordings of the past 3 days were accessible.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Here's a snapshot of the Reolink 4K NVR to demonstrate the clarity. Back deck and garage.
You can see my neighbor's famous "wall", built wrong side facing, left side of pic...("shop cat" is not for sale). :wink:
NVR-West 10-4-2021, 11-33-15 AM.jpg

27metalman

Look at Arlo. You can purchase online or at a place like Best Buy. I have it has a supplemental system to my other alarm system. Connects to wifi and go directly to my phone. You have to pay a monthly fee for all the bells and whistles, but if something moves, it hits my phone instantly. And you can pick up your phone up and hit the live button to to check if anything is happening.

Meriwether Mike

I like the Ring Doorbell as I know when packages deliver and if someone is at my door. I am able to talk with them as well. I caught my lawn service failing to treat my yard with it. He would just pull up and put the treatment sign out and not treat. I would have them walking back and forth when they were truly doing the service.

Madman

We went a bit old school I guess. Found a flash sale, and I decided to get a Reolink 4K 4-camera NVR (continuous recording) system. It's a POE (power over ethernet) system, you would need to run Cat5 network style cable to each camera, cables are included. It's pretty easy to install, and the clarity is amazing.

A bit pricey up front, but no monthly fees, no Wi-Fi dropouts to worry about, batteries to change or charge. It is expandable up to 8 cameras. Each camera has great audio capabilities.

Download the Reolink app and you can view the cameras from your phone, computer, etc. Some argue the presence of cameras is better than an alarm system.
Reolink 4K 4 camera NVR system

Like this video shows, we probably watch wildlife more than anything else. Night vision is infrared supported and the image is black and white.
That’s what we installed, have loved it for years.

grouper throat

I have the ring doorbell and 3 ring stick up cams around my house connected by wifi and on solar panels for charging. I like how you can change the detection areas and movement it records (only human movement for instance). No subscription or any extra charges. Simple to install and use and camera quality is good for the price.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I've got the Ring Doorbell cam and it distinguishes between motion and a person and notifies you as such. I also have the Blink XT camera system elsewhere around the house that does good. My neighbor has the Wyze cameras, very cheap and a much better full color night time picture than anything I have. I think they are like $39 on Amazon and have to plug in, but he said no base unit is needed and it works through your existing wifi and alerts to the least bit of motion. The Wyze also works from the inside looking out through a window. Arlo and Blink cannot do that.

Deerhead

I have the ring door bell and their solar charger. It works great. Never have to change the battery. No wires at all. This is perfect for me since my brother in law cut my door bell wires years ago. I now have a door bell and a camera too.

LTZ25

Arlo and Ring both great units , I have both , my Arlo is powered by it's on solar panel and you can put it anywhere , expect to pay $3.00 a month for service .