Rio looking turkeys IN GA!

six

Could it be the result of inbreeding? Some populations are are virtually land locked. You may be seeing the results of UDS. That stands for Uncle Daddy Syndrome.

buckpasser

Could it be the result of inbreeding? Some populations are are virtually land locked. You may be seeing the results of UDS. That stands for Uncle Daddy Syndrome.

Yeah, the first year I got there, we had only one flock in the middle of the place, but I’m certain they weren’t that “land locked”. We’re on a large creek that flows through some decent turkey habitat nearby, and keeps us pretty genetically diverse I’m sure.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yeah, the first year I got there, we had only one flock in the middle of the place, but I’m certain they weren’t that “land locked”. We’re on a large creek that flows through some decent turkey habitat nearby, and keeps us pretty genetically diverse I’m sure.
The bronze hen turkey.
CFE79D50-C10A-4980-ABC6-73480ECC2249.jpeg

buckpasser

Ours don’t appear to have the short stumpy legs like a bronze normally does. The biologist still hasn’t responded.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have several pictures of turkeys on my phone that me or friends and family have killed over the years and all have the normal dark fan tips .

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have several pictures of turkeys on my phone that me or friends and family have killed over the years and all have the normal dark fan tips .
I hear folks talk about primary feathers and such with the white line pattern differences, but it’s the tips like this that make me smh! That gobbler looks like an Osceola to me……but I dunno

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The turkeys I remember in South Georgia from the early 1960s looked identical in size and color to Osceola turkeys. When the state restocked Eastern turkeys around there in the 1980s all the oldtimers called them tame turkeys. They had never seen wild turkeys like that before.

buckpasser

The turkeys I remember in South Georgia from the early 1960s looked identical in size and color to Osceola turkeys. When the state restocked Eastern turkeys around there in the 1980s all the oldtimers called them tame turkeys. They had never seen wild turkeys like that before.

I think certain places I hunt around here were mostly stocked naturally by turkey populations from the south (Florida big woods along river drains). They always look like Osceolas, even now. The turkeys in North Thomas, Colquitt, and Mitchell that I’ve killed are almost certainly from the restock lineage. They usually look more “eastern” in the wings and build.

The northern Alabama turkeys I’ve killed and seen look different yet again with smaller funny looking heads.

I’ve never seen this buff or white trait anywhere but out west until here lately.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think certain places I hunt around here were mostly stocked naturally by turkey populations from the south (Florida big woods along river drains). They always look like Osceolas, even now. The turkeys in North Thomas, Colquitt, and Mitchell that I’ve killed are almost certainly from the restock lineage. They usually look more “eastern” in the wings and build.

The northern Alabama turkeys I’ve killed and seen look different yet again with smaller funny looking heads.

I’ve never seen this buff or white trait anywhere but out west until here lately.

I`ve never seen the Merriam`s or Rio Grande traits here either. I`ve killed "Osceola`s" in Early, Dougherty, Lee, and Wheeler though.

buckpasser

North Fl river/swamp "Eastern"
View attachment 1220247
Central Fl "Osceola"
View attachment 1220248

I'd like to see some of the white tip easterns in person...coloring in pics can play tricks.

Yessir. It’s an NWTF scam with the Osceola thing. I’ve always thought the proof of the scam is the lack of a “hybridized zone”. Even though there is no such thing as a hybrid East-eola. They’re just wild turkeys.

buckpasser

One of our challenge members entered this bird and I thought of your thread .View attachment 1220084

There used to be some killed over around Early/Miller area on north up the GA/AL line that has those light tipped primaries. Not sure if they ever had many lighter tipped secondaries or not.

Kev

I’ve killed some rio looking turkeys in GA before. Probably about 30% of my turkeys have looked more like a rio than an eastern. Certain tracts I hunt seem to have them.

The Osceola Subspecies classification is a money grabbing gimmick. Osceola's are the native Eastern. There were pockets of native Easterns that still remained in southern Georgia swamps and creek bottoms. I have killed a few over the years in Echols,south Lowndes and south Brooks counties that were genetic throwbacks to these birds. These gobblers were smaller in size and much darker colored. The wings were colored differently and the spurs seemed to be sharper and longer than expected. They looked like an Osceola. You could take these turkeys to south FLA and call them "Osceolas" and get away with it.

buckpasser

I’ve killed some rio looking turkeys in GA before. Probably about 30% of my turkeys have looked more like a rio than an eastern. Certain tracts I hunt seem to have them.

I’d like to see some pics, and I don’t mean that sarcastically.

Kev

I’d like to see some pics, and I don’t mean that sarcastically.
I’ll have to try and find some pictures if I have many. I really don’t take many pictures. I killed one Friday on a new tract that looked more eastern but I didn’t take any pictures.