Rompola buck

buckpasser

I’m late to this party, and know this thread probably won’t bring anything new to light. I just stumbled onto this deer accidentally today looking for something else. Wanted some opinions on this odd story. I’d hate to say the deer is fake, poached, etc. From what I’ve read and researched, I’d currently say it’s what it was claimed to be with an unfortunate ending, or at least a long stalled pause leading to an ending.

If it’s legit, I hope it’s entered into the record books at some point, either by Mitch or his son Kevin after he inherits it. What are your thoughts? If you could care less about someone else’s world record deer, I get that too.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
That was the 1st deer story that fascinated me. As a bow hunter I wanted it to be legit soooo bad. Back then wide was everything. And he was sho nuff wide.

Rebel 3

Didn't Milo Hansen file a lawsuit against him? Could have sworn they settled that he would never get it officially scored. Im not up to date on it, but seem to remember he wouldn't let anyone examine it to prove it's authenticity.

Sixes

I cannot see it being real. If it were, I think he would of went at all costs to prove the deer was real.

The guy was/is known for killing studs, but that one was unheard of

1md2b

Start with this podcast:

He does a 4 part series where he interviews experts, taxidermists, and friends of Rompola. His other episodes are pretty good too.

TriggerHappyJake

For those who have not seen the alleged deer this is a photo of it: 1670034130499.png
The story to me seems far too riddle with he-said she-said as well as just simple lack of cooperation on the person's involved to be taken as a legitimate animal. I personally do not believe such a harvest ever took place. No doubt the "rack" has since been destroyed as no one in decades has ever taken another photo nor has come forward with any evidence of its existence.

rugerfan

In my honest opinion, I don't think it is or was real, or something was done during that hunt that was not on the up and up. For someone to just drop out of sight over the potential world record seems a bit odd to me. However, giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe the guy just didn't want the press and millions of people wanting to be his new hunting partners.

dang

DANG !!!
A lot of people claim the way the ears lay in the picture is some indication of fake. I don’t know…like Dustin said, that wasnt the first stud of a deer he’s killed. Interesting story for sure….

buckpasser

I’m wondering if the guy’s legal troubles (some shameful activities, allegedly) kept him from wanting to be in the spotlight any more. Also, maybe the legal agreement was signed for some huge pay out?

From what I’ve seen (3 photos and the recovery video), it doesn’t look at all like a fake or “installed” rack. Just a giant. I guess I could entertain the farm deer aspect more than any other issue, if there was any reason to start investigating.

KKrueger

I was fascinated w the story too. I think when I was a kid that guy spoke at an outdoor show/event in Michigan that I was at. A couple years after the story broke I was in Iowa on a hunt with a guy who claimed to have seen/held it. He was totally convinced 100% legit. I grow more and more skeptical over time.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I remember the hullabaloo about it. If it was real and legit no way he wouldn’t prove it. I think it’s like the guy in Alabama that took shed antlers and put them on a deer and claimed he had killed it, something is just odd about it , not to mention the way the antlers just look odd.

buckpasser

I remember the hullabaloo about it. If it was real and legit no way he wouldn’t prove it. I think it’s like the guy in Alabama that took shed antlers and put them on a deer and claimed he had killed it, something is just odd about it , not to mention the way the antlers just look odd.

The Alabama guy was likely just an Auburn grad.

earlthegoat2

I had almost forgotten about this.

I was in high school then living in MI when the story broke. As a young hunter and being a MI hunter I was very interested in it.

The guy was somewhat of a hunting legend before the photos and story came out partly because of the big deer the had already killed up until that point and the similar deer he killed in the years after.

He was very involved in P&Y and the B&C Club of MI (it’s called something else, I can’t remember).

Supposedly the antlers have been destroyed.

Just another example of the sickness that big bucks and antlers instill in folks.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
This is a different deer killed by Rompola that was said to have come from the same area as the questionable buck. It also has the same character traits on its rack as the other. Wide and seemingly coming out sideways instead of up. It is possible it was just a character traits of the bucks in the area. I don't have much thought on it other than if it was a fake, why do it twice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202_225443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202_225443_Chrome.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 178

buckpasser

I had almost forgotten about this.

I was in high school then living in MI when the story broke. As a young hunter and being a MI hunter I was very interested in it.

The guy was somewhat of a hunting legend before the photos and story came out partly because of the big deer the had already killed up until that point and the similar deer he killed in the years after.

He was very involved in P&Y and the B&C Club of MI (it’s called something else, I can’t remember).

Supposedly the antlers have been destroyed.

Just another example of the sickness that big bucks and antlers instill in folks.

His son has stated publicly that the antlers were not destroyed as was rumored and are intact in a safe location (as of 2018).