rookie to flyfishing

gabreamfanatic

ok guys like it says i am a rookie at this. i need all the help and info i can take in. what would be the best set up fr a newbie? what i will be mainly fishing for is bream and crappie. i do have a bass pro here in sav and been looking at their intro fly rod. so would that one be a good starting point for me. thanks rob.

Sargent

Don't go ultra cheap. I would look at Temple Fork's lower-priced rods and a White River (BPS house brand) reel.

My fly fishing forte (what there is of it) doesn't lie with lake fishing.

I would go with a good starter line (floating, weight forward).

Good luck.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
What Sargent said! :cool:

Plus I would look at about a 6-7 weight rod in a 9 foot length. Give's better distance and presentation when throwing bigger flies for bass, and over sized poppers. Weight forward line is much better for bigger stuff. 8-9 weight rods will throw MUCH bigger stuff, but its really over kill unless you are tossing for Trophy bass only.

Poppers, streamers, and wooly worms are great. Also, a few hopper patterns. Don't overlook Strip Leach patterns for bass either. They don't sink real fast and stay somewhat suspended. In early spring, a slow finger retrieve, will get the rod took out of your hands!

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Maybe even a lighter weight rod if you are strictly going to limit yourself to bream and crappie.Another great warm water pattern is the "gillbuster".Slow sinking and deadly for big bream.Sponge spiders too.If you are just learning to cast, its easier if you get someone to show you the rhythm rather than seeing it in a book or video.You can stand next to the person while they cast and move your rod according or "hold" onto a rod along with someone who is actually casting.You can learn in a day and improve for the rest of your life.Good luck.(Also there are some good guides in Thunderbolt that might be willing to help if you don't know anyone that waves the wand.)

Sargent

Not to hijack, but you guys who fish lakes regularly- what is your setup?

I was thinking floating wf line with a short floating leader and about 3-4' of tippet.. Slow sinking fly with a strike indicator at the point where the leader and the tippet meet.

How does that sound?

River Rambler

Honestly, I've been fly fishing for about ten years. It's become a hysterical obsession. Don't spend a lot on your first rod. Go 6-7wt. like someone else mentioned. My first rod was a white river combo from bass pro. Since I've had St.Croix's, Orvis rods, and custom rods built and downsized almost every transition. In fact I've broken at least 5 rods to date. But out of all the rods I have, I've caught and landed 4 of the 5 biggest trout (all over 24") on my Bass Pro rod.
You'll learn to cast and improve your casting on better rods later. You get into the addiction cheap, and if you find it's not for you, you haven't gone overboard. There's too many other things in fly fishing that you'll need to drop $ on. Plus you're likely to break it and Bass Pro has been wonderful on returning broken rods.
To this day, I have two rods ALWAYS in the back of my truck...a 5'7" 4wt. and my 9' Bass Pro 6wt. Good luck and welcome to a potential life changing addiction.

gabreamfanatic

thanks for the info and tips on the fly fishing thier guys. i just may get one of the bass pro cheap rods. that way if i dont like it i wont have to much money in the rod. i even may try and talk my unlce out of his fly rod since he hasnt used his in years. as for the saltwater rig i have a ton of saltwater rigs so i am just sticking with what i have for that. and with it being my b-day today i may get this fly rod as a b-day gift to myself. thanks again for all your help.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
thanks for the info and tips on the fly fishing thier guys. i just may get one of the bass pro cheap rods. that way if i dont like it i wont have to much money in the rod. i even may try and talk my unlce out of his fly rod since he hasnt used his in years. as for the saltwater rig i have a ton of saltwater rigs so i am just sticking with what i have for that. and with it being my b-day today i may get this fly rod as a b-day gift to myself. thanks again for all your help.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:yeah::yeah:

fishnpreacher

A word to the wise, you will like it.
You can get by with an inexpensive reel and rod, but get a good line. The lines that come with most outfits is not that good. Get a Cortland 444 or equivalent.
A 4-5 wt with a floating line will be your best set-up. Add a 7 1/2 ft leader and a foot or so of tippet and you'll be set. Add a little splitshot and you can get down to suspended fish. Bream on the bed with a small popping bug or foam spider is great fun. Get some white streamers for crappie. Don't worry about a strike indicator, you will be fishing a tight line most of the time, so no need for it.

riprap

I am in the same boat. Just want a rod to fish in a pond up the road. The pond gets all kind of moss and algae, and I think a fly will be a good technique for bream and small bass. What would I expect to spend on this set up at BPS or Dicks? Are the combo starter kits a waste of money? I have never picked up a fly rod.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
I am in the same boat. Just want a rod to fish in a pond up the road. The pond gets all kind of moss and algae, and I think a fly will be a good technique for bream and small bass. What would I expect to spend on this set up at BPS or Dicks? Are the combo starter kits a waste of money? I have never picked up a fly rod.

Yea, for what you want to do, look at the Dogwood Canyon Starter Kits. I would go 6 weight to cover the bass thing and no problem with the bream. 9 foot is the way to go. It will make your casting and line pickup easier! Get yourself a handfull of poppers and a few wooly worms for droppers, and a good sized basket for the fish! :banana:

bowbuck

Yea, for what you want to do, look at the Dogwood Canyon Starter Kits. I would go 6 weight to cover the bass thing and no problem with the bream. 9 foot is the way to go. It will make your casting and line pickup easier! Get yourself a handfull of poppers and a few wooly worms for droppers, and a good sized basket for the fish! :banana:

To add to bitteroots post also buy some basic beadhead trout flies to tie as a dropper off of your popper. You will be amazed at how many fish will eat a dropper before busting a popper. Good luck on the sport and remember it's a patience sport you don't shoot par on your first round of golf and you might not catch a ton of fish on your first few trips but you get better at both golf and flyfishing with practice.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I'm noe expert, but I think you living where your living,
I'd get an 8' rod in #7 medium tip, with a #7 weight forward line, or a #7 level floating line. Just keep in mind that when your not hitting those lakes, tidal water is full of reds and trout, good fun fishing plus good eat'n as well. Just remember to get a good brand fly line, as mentioned before. If your having someone set it up for you, make sure they add backing to the reel before they put the fly line on. There is an Orvis fly shop down on St. Simons Island, but I can not remember the name of it. They have some killer salt water streamers and jigs, worth the ride, good prices too.

GONoob

Great thread, I recently got back into fly fishing from 12 years ago. I lost my rod but still have my reel, again, great thread lol.

G Duck

I have the white river clasic from bps. it is a 7wt. It was a gift from a good friend who upgraded. I wouldnt call bps stuff cheap. It seems to be well made. I am learning to cast. Hope to have a picture up soon of a fish. Just casting in the yard is adictive.