Ruger LCP

ribber

Bought the wife one for Christmas and a box of PMC target loads. Went to Academy yesterday and all they had was target loads. Are they 'adequate' for defense? I assume they're good enough, but not sure. Not very familiar with hand gun ammo.

Flaustin1

No. In a dire, last ditch situation they would work but I would definitely be looking for some hollow points.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is how mine shoots at 30 feet pulling the trigger "almost" as fast as I can. I point at the bottom of the neck and they all are head shots. Gold Dots are good stuff.

gt40

PS: My first shot (high left) was a slow aim at where the nose would be. Then the rest were one handed rapid fire pointing at the bottom of neck..

Attachments

• LCP 2.JPG
    LCP 2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 885

wareagle700

Here is an interesting take on the subject.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wonder what a prosecuting attorney would do to you in court after you shot someone with that G2 R.I.P. ammo.

gt40

Mattval

Cornfed

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the manual states not to carry +P rated ammunition in the LCP pistols. My father in law has one he carries everywhere.

tcoker

I wonder what a prosecuting attorney would do to you in court after you shot someone with that G2 R.I.P. ammo.

gt40

That is some nasty stuff. To get that kind of expansion/wound channel plus 16" of penetration is hard to beat.

I like the Lehigh and Underwood in the video as well.

I don't believe I'd shoot +P in the LCP. That's just me. +P+ isn't even an option to me.

ryanh487

There are 4 rounds that pass the FBI minimum penetration AND expansion standards in .380 HPs, and 3 of them are loaded with Hornady XTPs. The forth is Hydrashocks, but I would opt for the HST (hydroshock tactical). DO NOT buy +P rounds for the LCP. I carry hornady XTPs in mine but will be replacing them with Federal HSTs sooner than later, just because I carry HSTs in my 9mm and .45 and trust their reputation.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Personally I would rather have 100% of the energy be inside the bad guy instead out the other side of him. How thick is your chest? Mine isn't 16 inches.

gt40

Bob Wallace

Depends on the time of year for me. Usually I carry Critical Defense loads in my LCP since I'm in South Florida however in a cold environment where people wear multiple layers, if I'm going to carry the LCP I may us FMJ for penetration but then again I just carry a bigger gun at that point.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A .380 is a pretty marginal defense round IMO, I'd have the best bullets I could get in there.

With that said, I certainly wouldn't stand there and let you shoot me with one of those FMJ target rounds, either. :) Probably a lot of folks killed with cheap fmj .380 by the gangbanger types every year.

Dub

It's a .380.

Like NCHB said....it's a marginal bullet. Don't get me wrong.....I'd rather have that not......and would rather have any ammo in it vs it be empty.

Heck....the fmj stuff may do better than the hollow point sfor this round.....penetration wise, at least.

My wife also has one of those little Rugers. I'm glad she carries and even more at ease when she takes one of the Glocks.

Latest posts