Sand Blasting Cast Iron

SarahFair

I have a TON of cast iron that needs to be restored.

I know there are people out there shouting from rooftops about how this will ruin cast iron, but I personally dont see how if you use the right media. I've tried wire brushing it in the past, but I have too many pieces for that much time and effort, and I dont see myself setting up an electrolysis system, which leads me to sand blasting...

We inherited a large sand blasting cabinet, it came with a huge 100+ lb bucket of a blasting media, but I think it might be too course as it's tiny metal balls. The label has faded and disintegrated off the side of the bucket so I can't tell what it is.

I saw someone tried to use walnut but had little to no results.
What type of media would yall suggest using for cast iron cookware?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Not an expert, but aluminum oxide or the finest grit sand you can find would be my suggestion. Cast is pretty durable, I doubt you’ll damage the surface unless you really try.
Once you get it cleaned, be sure to oil it or start the seasoning, bare metal rusts at the mention of water.

Big7

The Oracle
It won't hurt it but I'd try to find a shop that uses glass beads.

I know 1 in Conyers, if that ain't to far. PM me.

hopper

Use to have a sandblasted at the shop for outside of cast iron claw tubs. Had alot of people ask me to do cast iron pans when I refinished their tub. I used fine sand. Worked great no pitting.

SarahFair

I went to harbor freight and grabbed 80 grit glass beads.

I noticed when the air compressor started running out of air it wasn't working as quick, but it was SO much easier than anything else I've tried.

Here's a before and after of a pan that was crusted over.
It still needed some work on the bottom where it was extremely crusted, but my oldest was getting ants in his pants about using the compressor to try out his new powder coating gun. I'm just going to knock it off with a file and season it tomorrow
1673227780325.jpg1673226017986.jpg

jaybirdius

I've used garnet blast media in the past. It was worth the added expense. It fractures instead of wearing down. Sand will smooth out instead of having the sharp edges, which do the work. The garnet will start out pretty coarse and keep working to a finer grit with use. Sand just works down to smooth balls. I've used the garnet until it was almost as fine as dust and it still removed material.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I went to harbor freight and grabbed 80 grit glass beads.

I noticed when the air compressor started running out of air it wasn't working as quick, but it was SO much easier than anything else I've tried.

Here's a before and after of a pan that was crusted over.
It still needed some work on the bottom where it was extremely crusted, but my oldest was getting ants in his pants about using the compressor to try out his new powder coating gun. I'm just going to knock it off with a file and season it tomorrow
View attachment 1201972View attachment 1201971

Those cleaned up pretty good! :rockon:

Qazaq15

I've always laid them in a campfire for an hour or so. As long as it isn't blazing hot the old seasoning and curst will burn off without damaging the pan.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Multiple spray and wipe applications. You tube has details.
Hey, I tried it on a frying pan this weekend with a little rust on one side and it did a good job just using cheap old dollar store $1.25 oven cleaner. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts