Cast Iron Cooking

TomC

Cowboy Kent Rollins YouTube site has all sorts of great cast iron recipes and he's funny as all get out! If something is stuck bad I'll do what was mentioned above and just heat up a little water in the bottom of the pan and then scrape off with those cheap little plastic Lodge scrapers which are a must have for easy cleanup!

If you get a new piece even if it claims to be seasoned or even if the seasoning is less than stellar on your older pieces I'd do a "bake in" seasoning in the oven and Cowboy Kent has instructions on how to do!

Doug B.

Griswold is by far the best in my opinion! I have several pieces of it and I have some Wagners. It is very good too. I got all mine back years ago before it went sky high. There is no telling what I could get for mine now. It really doesn't matter though cause I'm not going to sell it anyhow!!!!

Hillbilly stalker

Ain’t nothing no finer ! If I was on death row and the Warden asked me what I wanted for breakfast…..it would be maw maws fried apples and cat head biscuits. Both cooked in cast iron.

2 rules
#1 never scrub them with a Brillo pad
#2 never cook anything in maw maws cornbread skillet
Both will get you flogged pretty good.

Dub

First Merry Christmas. I have 3 or four cast iron skillets and was thinking about starting the new year trying to cook with cast iron. Was wondering how many of you use cast iron for your cooking or just use it for special occasions. If you use it what are some of the things you have learned about using cast iron? The advantages and disadvantages. I know there are people who use cast iron for cooking and would like to hear about their experiences using it.

Thanks Bones

90% of my cooking is now done in cast iron.

ryork

I’ve got three pans that were my maternal grandmother’s. Use at least one of them dang near every day.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I use cast just about everyday. There’s no finer steak than a reverse seared ribeye, finished in cast.
9F9F2045-96CB-46D6-9FC7-649B603F6C07.png
AF7CEE51-ED61-4541-9BBD-F3A34305E353.png

ssramage

I use a cast iron nearly every meal I cook. Primarily my Field #10 or my grandma's old Wagner #10 that she left me. My Field stays on the stove all of the time.

Reactions: Dub

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
We use ours often. I am the household cornbread maker. I have one cast iron skillet that's only for cornbread.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Most of ours were given from our mama's and grandmama's. I did manage to get a new one this Christmas and the white elephant Christmas swap.:rockon: It's and 11" sqaure one. All of ours are round exept the flat grittle and dutch oven thingy. Each has it's own purpose. Gonna put the new one to use real soon. :clap:

jrickman

Any meat cooked indoors here is on cast iron about 99 times out of 100. The 100th will usually be a crock pot.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Excellent products from this Charleston, South Carolina foundry will make a super family heirloom starter kit.

I have a couple of their rounded bottomed skillets that make some mean omelets and other great eats.

Use them several times each week.

DannyW

Took me way too many years to realize cast iron is the way to roll. Its about all I use now! Collected a bunch of pieces and like the old stuff best. Wash with just hot water, back on stove top to heat up, once hot wipe down with a few drops of grapeseed oil using a bandana and let cool off.
Yep...same here. Clean it under running water, heat it to dry, and finish with a coat of oil. Wife says I treat my cast iron better than her.

If I used heavy oil in the pan, like deep frying, sometimes I will just leave it be on the back of the stove until the pan is needed again. Not sure if leaving it sitting with oil helps it, but it sure doesn't hurt it.

JonathanG2013

Both of my Grandmas' used cast iron to cook. I have a few modern Lodge skillets. I have a older Lodge Dutch Oven also. About two weeks ago at a antique store I came across a BSR number 7 10/1/8 Century Series. I used it to cook sausage and fried eggs in it. It works well. I hope to get a Wagner or Griswold also. The problem is people want a first for them.

Anyone use BSR skillets often? I heard they are pretty good skillets.

Doug B.

Both of my Grandmas' used cast iron to cook. I have a few modern Lodge skillets. I have a older Lodge Dutch Oven also. About two weeks ago at a antique store I came across a BSR number 7 10/1/8 Century Series. I used it to cook sausage and fried eggs in it. It works well. I hope to get a Wagner or Griswold also. The problem is people want a first for them.

Anyone use BSR skillets often? I heard they are pretty good skillets.
I have never even heard of BSR cast iron. But I'd do have a number 6 Griswold that as long as I have owned it has never had anything but cornbread cooked in it. I don't do anything to it. When the bread is done I put it in a plate then the pan sits until I make some more cornbread.

I also have a Griswold number 8 (I have other Griswolds but these two are my main ones that I use the most) that I really like to fry eggs in. The only problem with it is that if I want one over easy that it well done by the time that I get through chasing it around the pan to flip it!! It is way better than any Teflon non stick pan I have ever tried to use!!!!!

Swamprat

Swamprat
90% of the meals I cook on the stove top are in cast iron, the other 10% are in normal pots like sauces and cooking noodles or rice.

I will wipe them out and just lightly scrub just with hot water, put on burner to dry out and then lightly oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 2