Sapelo island

Kestas69

3 years ago spent 3 days hog hunting on island. Did see a lot of deer at night and some on early mornings at this food plot. 20B98638-928C-4118-8017-8C3913A95228.png43CD956A-583E-4904-A292-BA9CF72FCF63.png

There's a long thread on going to Sapelo with a lot of good advice and pictures of the map showing stand locations. I can't remember the name, but you'll find it quickly in a google search.

My biggest advice is to bring a thermacell for the mosquitos. It's a fun hunt, good luck.

Drew

Been 3 times, and can second that thermacell was my best friend. Tons of no-see-ums and skeeters just waiting to feast on you.

If you are a light sleeper bring earplugs, when that diesel generator cranks up it is loud.

In your down time, you can walk the beach and find antler sheds in the sand.

You get to pick a predefined area from a map and the DNR will drop you off and pick you up. If you get a deer you only have to drag it back to the road and put it on the trailer when you get picked up.

They also have showers and a walk-in deer cooler. It's more like a hunting camp experience than other WMA hunts.

BriarPatch99

Ticks, Sand gnats, skeeters and rattlesnakes .... Be prepared for all ....

Been a good while since I have been ...

Jeffingeorgia

Gentlemen,
My 16 yo son and I were drawn for the 21-23 October 2021 muzzleloader quota hunt.
This will be my sons first deer hunt (we are seasoned rabbit and squirrel hunters).
I muzzleloaded Sapelo once with my father 20 years ago and I will always cherish the adventure we had together and hope that my son I and make this a regular thing before he succumbs to the girls chasing him...
Would anybody being willing to suggest a good / favorite spot / number? I realize just about anywhere can be good, I just would like a heads up for my boys sake.
Lastly, my plan was to purchase 2 of the wheeled trash cans to haul all our stuff - I saw a thread that suggested the trash cans were a no-no. Any truth to this?
Any other advice/ suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Foster

The Ferry doesn't let the trash cans on but husky wheel boxes work well. Don't forget a fishing pole, bait and football. It is a ton of work and the weather can get you but the tougher it is the more memories it seems.