SBR registering?

kaotiktribe

Well ive found 2 companies that will SBR my Scar to a 10" barrel. I intend to have this done for Christmas, but now i need some info on the process of registering it as an SBR.

Anyone know which form from exactly i need? I know i need passport style pics of me and some finger print cards done. $200 tax stamp is just fine with me, but who needs to approve this before its submited? Local sherriff?

Also i believe the receiver needs to be engraved. Can anyone engrave this? How would that apply to the Scar polymer receiver?

Any help would be appreciated. I will tackle this and eventually venture off to suppress this toy.

butshot

Easiest way is to make a trust, seems many use Quiken will maker. No CLEO sign off, no fingerprints, but you won't have anything done by Christmas. I hear it's taking 3 to 6 months now due to volume BATF is receiving and the fact that are scrutinizing the papers much harder. Go to AR15.com and register, then you can login and search for info on trusts, they have a lot of good stuff on there about NFA

kaotiktribe

Thanks. I knew it would take longer than Christmas, but figured i could get my barrel done and just not install it.

As for AR15.com ive tried registering there before, but they dont accept email addresses from Yahoo, Hotmail, or Gmail.

Maybe ill just dig through there without becoming a member.

butshot

You're right about there email policies, that's one thing I don't like about them. There is a lawyer named Doug King in Marietta that used to post on ARFCOM that has done a lot of trusts for people there. You could google his name for contact info and find out what he chages to set one up for you.

DYI hunting

I would not have the barrel cut before registering. There is the possibility of the ATF considering that that is constructive intent (although some debate that on the internet).

The trust route is easier but a little more expensive. If you go with a trust, remember you have to engrave the name on the SBR so "FirstName LastName Revocable Living Trust" might not be the best trust name.

Your local gunsmith can probably engrave it, just make sure it meets the minimum depth requirement. I have seen one gunsmith that swore laser engraving would be just fine. Orion Arms is another option, I have seen their work and it looks good.
http://www.orion-arms.com/ar15-engraving.html

Form:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

NapoleonTanerite

You will need to an an ATF Form 1. If you do it as an individual you will need a sign off from the chief law enforcement officer (sheriff or the Chief of Police, either will suffice), finger print cards, and passport photos. If you use a trust or LLC the fingerprint cards and CLEO sign off are not required. All of this must be submitted in duplicate. In addition, you will need to submit an ATF Form 5330.20 Certification of Compliance with 18 USC 922(g)(5)(B). This will all be submitted to the ATF office in WV for approval. My last form 1 took 28 days mailbox to mailbox; however, this is the exception. Generally you can expect a two to four month wait time for approval. In the mean time you need to get the receiver engraved with your name (or the name of the trust), and home town. You can send the barrel off to be cut, but I would STRONGLY recommend you tell the gunsmith to hold it until your form 1 is returned, since if you are in possession of the short barrel and the rest of the firearm you are in possession of an unregistered short barreled rifle and subject to prosecution, whether or not the rifle is assembled.

kaotiktribe

Thanks. This is all the kind of information i need. Now for engraving i wonder how that works since a SCAR receiver is polymer.

With using a trust anyone know what kinda cash that requires?

Jakehinton

I could be wrong, but i believe the upper receiver is actually the serialized part on a SCAR. Whichever part has the Serial number engraved in it is what part will need to be engraved. This is how it is on the ACR and many other non-AR15 rifles.

raw111

I would think twice bout SBRing a SCAR. The factory barrel and gas port are tuned for the length. FN is supposed to be releasing some SBR barrels soon. I think they will have 10.5 and 11.5s available.

As far as the trust goes, download a copy of Quicken Willmaker, $39 or so, and follow the instructions for a living trust. You will need a successor of the trust and a third party to verify competency. Transfer something into the trust, on schedule A, like another gun. Make a copy of the trust, Schedule A, and two copies of the Form 1. Send packet with $200, check or MO, to the ATF address listed on Form 1.

Sit back and wait, Form 1s are taking about 4 months, at a minimum.

PM me for any other details.

Rich

Thor827

You're right about there email policies, that's one thing I don't like about them. There is a lawyer named Doug King in Marietta that used to post on ARFCOM that has done a lot of trusts for people there. You could google his name for contact info and find out what he chages to set one up for you.

Douglas King set up my trust. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and fast. I emailed him the info and sent a check, he emailed me the trust so I could print it and have it notarized. He even sent an update to the trust when he changed his form around, no extra charge.

kaotiktribe

Thanks for all the info guys.

As for the barrel FN went from stating they wouldnt be releasing any SBR barrels to civilians to now they may. Dont know how long that will be on the waiting game.

I didnt plan on taking it to my local gunsmith to chop it down either. I planned to either send it to http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html or https://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=384

Ive seen pictures of the work from these 2 sites on the FN forum. Everyone seems to be real pleased with their results.

raw111

Douglas King set up my trust. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and fast. I emailed him the info and sent a check, he emailed me the trust so I could print it and have it notarized. He even sent an update to the trust when he changed his form around, no extra charge.

Doug is good guy. He is very experience in NFA related items.

Rich