SBR amnesty Reminder

trial&error

Anyone choosing to register their AR pistol with brace as a SBR the deadline for the free stamp is 31 May with an ATF form 1. Other options are removing the brace, separating the upper from the lower, installing a 16" barrel, or turning it in to ATF. I know many are choosing to just disregard the ruling and that is your choice.
I ordered a barrel $79 and another upper receiver $50 so it's just swap upper and hopefully in the future swap back.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
They are so backlogged with Registrations that they couldn't get to it in time when they made the announcement however many months ago. They have so many days to approve such things and if they don't get to it in that amount of time it is an automatic denial. Then, not only is the applicant a felon, but now they know the person has such a device illegally.
Front of the line for a visit.

Big7

The Oracle
That's one of the dumbest laws I ever heard of.

There are a LOT more dangerous "things" that are totally legal to own.

transfixer

They are so backlogged with Registrations that they couldn't get to it in time when they made the announcement however many months ago. They have so many days to approve such things and if they don't get to it in that amount of time it is an automatic denial. Then, not only is the applicant a felon, but now they know the person has such a device illegally.
Front of the line for a visit.

This ^^^^ exactly ! I suspect the AFT knew they wouldn't be able to handle whatever amount of submissions they receive, and they did that on purpose ! if they don't get to your submission within the specified allotted time to approve those submissions it will be automatically denied, and then they know exactly who has them ! I hope those that submitted don't regret it !

Mars

Not that they care but the ATF doesn't have the authority to waive the $200 tax stamp for an SBR.

frankwright

Testifying before Congress the head of ATF said removing the brace was sufficient to be legal.

In the latest paperwork from ATF it says it must be destroyed or fixed so it can't be installed.

Either the ATF lied in front of congress or they are even more screwed up than we imagined!

transfixer

Testifying before Congress the head of ATF said removing the brace was sufficient to be legal.

In the latest paperwork from ATF it says it must be destroyed or fixed so it can't be installed.

Either the ATF lied in front of congress or they are even more screwed up than we imagined!

That guy, even though he's the 'head of the ATF" does't know anything about guns, and evidently doesn't even know what his own agency is putting in writing ! he's a Liberal Democrat soldier just doing someone else's bidding

chase870

Possum Sox
so if you take it apart upper from lower then everything should be fine as long as their not attached right????

rosewood

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So if you have a brace, and also have an AR with 16" barrel, you can put the brace on it an is perfectly legal. I don't see how they can say you have to destroy it. Also, you may have a standard stock laying around or on an AR with 16" barrel. They are implying you can't have a AR pistol and an AR rifle in your possession or you could be charged with constructive possession.

Rosewood

rosewood

so if you take it apart upper from lower then everything should be fine as long as their not attached right????
Per the ATF directory when testifying under oath to congress.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So if you have a brace, and also have an AR with 16" barrel, you can put the brace on it an is perfectly legal. I don't see how they can say you have to destroy it. Also, you may have a standard stock laying around or on an AR with 16" barrel. They are implying you can't have a AR pistol and an AR rifle in your possession or you could be charged with constructive possession.

Rosewood
I think the twist is if your only ar was a brace pistol then if you removed the brace and had the brace around ...then they could say it was under construction and then pop you.

The atf sucks.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
According to the A Tee Effs Director while under oath, yes.
According to the rest of the agency, no.
Agency says braces must be registered, turned in, be attached to a rifle that the barreled action meets rifle specifications, or destroyed.
The Director said that simply detaching a brace makes it legal to own.

His sworn testimony would make a nice exhibit in a court case.

rosewood

I have thought about the "solvent trap" crack down they have also done recently. They are saying the trap is "silencer parts" and therefore you are a felon for being in possession even though it is incomplete. You can form 1 an oil filter, submit, serialize, then drill and use for a suppressor and be perfectly legal. Using that argument, if a solvent trap is parts, then so is an oil filter, so everyone in the country driving an internal combustion engine with a metal oil filter is a felon by merely possessing parts that can be used for making a silencer...including the agents themselves.

I for the life of me don't get how their logic can even be considered logic.

Rosewood

Last edited:

Latest posts