SC Youth Squirrel Hunt Update

Quercus Alba

Hey everybody, some of yall may remember me posting a topic about this event a few months ago to see if anyone may be of interest. The hunt is being put on by Clemson University Wildlife Society and the local 4H program. The hunt date has been set to Saturday January 22nd. 15 kids from Oconee, Pickens, and Abbeville county will be attending. About half have previous hunting experience to some extent, and the other half do not. A few girls have signed up as well, so I think this a great opportunity to do something positive for these kids. I doubt any of them have hunted with a squirrel dog. The kids will arrive on Friday afternoon, be briefed on the squirrel hunt, and receive safety instructions from DNR LEO's. The hunt will begin Saturday morning followed by a break, and then a hunt in the afternoon. We will probably have some shooting competitions for the kids between hunts to pass the time. Free lunch will be provided for children, handlers, and volunteers at this time as well. I have spoken with DNR and have written statements saying that dog handlers resident or non-resident who are participating do not need a hunting license or WMA permit. The hunt will take place on local WMA in the Clemson, SC area. For those not familiar with the location, we will have several spots in mind that we plan on taking casts. I think this has the potential to be a real great event that might be able to become an annual thing, but I need some assistance from some fellow dogmen. I put a mention in Full Cry but did not hear back from anyone. If you think you could participate in the hunt in any way that would be wonderful. If it is more convenient for anyone to come in on Friday afternoon, I should be able to provide some limited space for you and your dogs in the Clemson Outdoor lab, where we have reserved 4 cabins for the youth. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks everybody.

Hutch Collins
803 361 2411

crackerdave

Sounds great,Hutch! There are several folks on here that have helped with youth hunts in the past,and I hope you have a great hunt with lots of dog owners participating.

I can't think of anything more important to the future of our sport than getting kids out hunting and fishing!

BOB_HARWELL

Hutch, They aren't going to let you carry a gun, are they?

BOB

Quercus Alba

HAHAHA. Long time no see Mr. Harwell. I've killed a good many turkeys with that butternut call I got from you a few years ago. I like the poplar but I can't leave the other one at home. I hope you've been doing good, and I'm sure I'll see you around sometime. And I'll be forced to watch the little ones shoot this time.

Hutch

Quercus Alba

Mr. Harrington,

Thanks for the reply. How is Rocky doing? You still got him? I'll shoot you a PM sometime closer to the 22nd to check in and see if you still can make it. Like I said I could probably put you up somewhere if needed too.