Scientist to be punished for gene editing

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I had no point to make on this one. It’s not something I was expecting and glad you posted it.

I’d much rather someone that smart would focus on cures rather than morphs. He obviously is in it to be the first rather than finding a cure.
Yet I don’t even know what he did so no comments.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Or how bout two wrongs don’t make a right.
I’d rather him find the cure and right the wrong first.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I had no point to make on this one. It’s not something I was expecting and glad you posted it.

I’d much rather someone that smart would focus on cures rather than morphs. He obviously is in it to be the first rather than finding a cure.
Yet I don’t even know what he did so no comments.
In his case, he edited the genes to fight / prevent HIV.

He neglected and forged so you’re correct, looks like he was wanting to be the first.

I think I’d be ok with prevention / cure type stuff.

Artfuldodger

Lol ok.

Given the direction of our anything goes society, we can expect this to become the norm. I personally think it’s an area that we need to let nature handle.

Do you mean God or nature? Someone may be able to play nature, but no human will ever be able to play God.

Not until we see Jesus as he is and become like him.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Do you mean God or nature? Someone may be able to play nature, but no human will ever be able to play God.

Not until we see Jesus as he is and become like him.
Without debating creation / evolution..... the natural process of either is what I’m referring to as “nature”

WaltL1

In his case, he edited the genes to fight / prevent HIV.

He neglected and forged so you’re correct, looks like he was wanting to be the first.

I think I’d be ok with prevention / cure type stuff.
To me, its definitely a slippery slope.
On one hand, he could be coming up with something that saves millions of lives.
On the other hand, I don't trust man to leave it at that.

Hitler envisioned a master race. Physically/mentally.
In a way, is this an "innocent" step in that direction?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

That’s where I’m at. We may not want or need to open that door.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Or has god given him the mind and capability to further gods work?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Or has god given him the mind and capability to further gods work?
I could envision man having the capabilities to build on......I mean the Bible does say that knowledge would increase. But I can see Walt’s point, it could easily be abused.

Our luck, they’d edit them all to vote democrat::;

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I could envision man having the capabilities to build on......I mean the Bible does say that knowledge would increase. But I can see Walt’s point, it could easily be abused.

Our luck, they’d edit them all to vote democrat::;
Many of the most popular and widely used discoveries are from trying to create one intended thing and resulting in another unintended. But that included both the good and the bad.

And truthfully, I do not doubt for one second that since the WWII days of those awful human experiments that Governments and Private Companies have not continued and expounded upon them. They just don't like it when a scientist breaks ranks and talks about it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Many of the most popular and widely used discoveries are from trying to create one intended thing and resulting in another unintended. But that included both the good and the bad.

And truthfully, I do not doubt for one second that since the WWII days of those awful human experiments that Governments and Private Companies have not continued and expounded upon them. They just don't like it when a scientist breaks ranks and talks about it.
Yea I think it’d be almost scary to find out what our govt really has their hands in.

660griz

On one hand, I could see the benefits of ensuring healthy babies. On the other, if you believe in creation, I can see where you’re interfering with “by design”, and if you believe in evolution, I can see where you’re interfering with “adapting for survival”.
We would probably have half the world population we do now if it weren't for man "interfering in God's plan or interfering with the laws of nature.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We would probably have half the world population we do now if it weren't for man "interfering in God's plan or interfering with the laws of nature.
I would agree. Hadnt thought about that part of it, but you’re correct.

ambush80

I would agree. Hadnt thought about that part of it, but you’re correct.

Consider, though, that as you increase the number of people you also increase the likelihood of a genius appearing, one that might figure out how to colonize other planets.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Consider, though, that as you increase the number of people you also increase the likelihood of a genius appearing, one that might figure out how to colonize other planets.
And he/she can figure out what to do with the burdens on the rest of society.