scouting trip

Wire Nut

Went all day and sat on a ridge. Didn't see any bears but saw tons of scat and some clawed/chewed on trees. Found some white oak acorns also. This season should be a good one. Did run into a guy hog hunting. If I had known he was as old as he was I would have let him know I was standing there before he was 15 yds away from me. I waved and he grabbed his chest. Thought he was gonna have a heart attack. :rofl: I sat a trail cam and will post any pics after I retrieve it next weekend.

Wire Nut

if I kill one then the answer will change and be more exact. when i killed an elk with my bow I had a man ask me where I shot it and I told him right behing the shoulder 35 yds from where I was knelt down. He wanted a little more precise location so I told him in the hills. I figured I could atleast give you guys the part of the state. I'm sure if I gave my GPS coordinates no one would be sitting there waiting on me on opening morning right?

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Went all day and sat on a ridge. Didn't see any bears but saw tons of scat and some clawed/chewed on trees. Found some white oak acorns also. This season should be a good one. Did run into a guy hog hunting. If I had known he was as old as he was I would have let him know I was standing there before he was 15 yds away from me. I waved and he grabbed his chest. Thought he was gonna have a heart attack. :rofl: I sat a trail cam and will post any pics after I retrieve it next weekend.

I hope your trailcam is still there next weekend. On public land it better be hid good. Even private land isn't safe in this day and age.....

bownutz

Jeremy:
I'm sure you guys know more about bear hunting than i do, i hope, but are you not worried about pushing the bears out of the area by scouting. I know how tempermental deer are about human invaders. Are bears not the same?

p.s. you might have a picture of me on your trail cam. I was hog hunting down there saturday and sunday. Hopefully it wasn't with a handfull of tolet paper. lol.

Wire Nut

not really worried. I scout them the same way I do deer. I find a place carefully and quietly and sit there and don't move. In the case of a clear cut I make sure there is a way to get out of there quietly with some cover. Also always go in "scent free" just as if I was hunting.

JWilson

If yall find a way to go sent free after climbing those hills yall are smarter than I am. Because by the time I get to where I'm going my shirt is soaking wet with sweat I sprat down but when you sweat it off I think the best way to do it is hunt into the wind if you can

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Speaking of scent control. I read an article by Fred Bear on the subject one time. He was asked the question "can you mask the human scent". He responded with a short tale of a hunting trip. He said that while hunting grizzlies, he happened up on a bloating dead corpse of a caribou on the bank of a stream. It was reeking with a foul odor. He decided to hunt over it the next day. He came back the next morning and easing up to the opposite bank he saw that a bear had already arrived and had his head buried in the animal's abdomen,eating away. He said the breeze was blowing from the bear to him and the smell was so bad it made him retch. Then all of a sudden the wind changed to blow from him to the bear and the bear immediatly pulled his head from his meal and hightailed it to the forest. So Fred said he was persuaded to believe that nothing could mask the human odor.

LanceColeman

I take 4 strap on tree steps with me when I set trail cams. I wedge a stick behind them to angle them downwards and use the 4 steps to get me as high as I can up a tree that lacks any "bearhugging or shimmy up attractiveness" And it;s also locked to the tree.

So if ya willing to get the 15' off the ground and scuff yaself to death to get up there and chew through the locked cable?? congradulations you now own my trail camera.

HEY sounds like we hunt the same area!! North Ga. that is.

Wire Nut

I hope to meet some of yall once season opens. I'm sure we'll all be sitting in the same spot, camped in the same camp grounds, and sharing everything else since we all hunt N GA. Really though maybe once opening weekend has passed some of us can get together and hunt.

JWilson

sounds good I have no one to go hunting with me but I'm always looking for someone to help me drag

LanceColeman

Opening weekend?? chasing bears?? you have GOT ta be kiddin!! Nah man!! Not me. Come opening weekend I have one thing and one thing only on my mind. FRESH venison tenderloin, home made biscuits and gravy....... OH! OH!! I drooled a little!!

Bears are for atter theres deer in the freezer.

stuckbuck

Opening weekend?? chasing bears?? you have GOT ta be kiddin!! Nah man!! Not me. Come opening weekend I have one thing and one thing only on my mind. FRESH venison tenderloin, home made biscuits and gravy....... OH! OH!! I drooled a little!!

Bears are for atter theres deer in the freezer.

I'll be bear hunting opening weekend! I found a killer spot
in n. GA:clap:. I also shot my best buck to date on this very same mountain.