Septic question

wildcats

I have two, I will call them service ports, above my septic tank. I noticed yesterday that 1 of the ports has a float style lid where as the other has a screw on cap. The float style lid had opened enough for "solids" to over flow around the pipe area and into the yard.
This lid style, I believe is to allow for the overflow to come out of it instead of backing up into the house. If my belief is correct I count that as a win. Nothing is backing up into the house and everything drains/flushes fine.
Now to the issue. When looking into the port with the float lid the water level is around 2 inches below the top. When unscrewing the second port the water level is about a foot below the top of pipe. I then dig up the soil down to the top of tank in between each pipe. Approx 3 feet from pipe to pipe. I don't really see any issue with roots etc. I called to try and get the tank pumped but have yet to get a call back. While I wait I am trying to think this through.
Even if full shouldn't the water travel out into my leach field? Little to no experience with how this is supposed to work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dbender

Do you have a pump system? Health dept will have a record of your system. Approx location of tank and drain field. Size of tank and type of system. It's free, just have to go pick it up.
Need to know if you have a pump or not. Assuming no pump, here's your 2 options.
1. You could have a blockage right where it enters the tank. Snake it out, water should go down in pipe immediately if blockage is at entrance to tank. If pipe does not drain you need to do more digging.
Newer tanks have a filter on the outlet of the tank. You'll have to dig up lid to clean filter if that is the case. Septic systems are always "full" that is their design. Pumping won't fix your problem unless you have a large grease layer floating.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
^Stupid septic tank filter could be the issue. I know some contractors that toss them out after the inspection. The floating cleanout is called a "sewer popper" or "sewer relief valve"

wildcats

I do not have a pump system.
Went a picked up a "snake" gonna poke and prod a bit see what I find. I do not remember a filter. Had the tank pumped a bit over 2 yrs ago and there was no mention of the filter. Guy found roots causing the issue at that time and pumped it anyway. He only charged for the pumping but he and his helper dug out roots and fixed pipe and added the relief valve cap.
System is original to house. Built in 1990.
After snaking if no change will do more digging.
Thanks for the info.

treemanjohn

Banned
I am not a septic guy so take this for what its worth. Ive been battling with a similar problem from an older home. I have done a ton of internetting and decided to add an aerator to my system to break up the biomat in the field lines. A 80cfm pump and a large diffuser stone. After a 5 days the water level started dropping about 2in per day. After 1 week the bad smell went completely away and the water cleared. Everything appears to be running nicely.

My next step is a heavy dose of copper sulfate to kill the roots

plumber_1969

I am a little late to this party but please listen in the future. Running a snake, especially from a sewer machine, into a septic tank can be a nightmare. The cable has a tendency to coil up like a ball a yarn thus making it impossible to pull back out to the cleanout. Then you have to open the tank and disconnect the link along the way. Ask this dumb old plumber how he found out the hard way. But I do agree with watermedic, sounds like roots which means you have a crack somewhere and you are just giving those roots fertilizer.

Artfuldodger

I am a little late to this party but please listen in the future. Running a snake, especially from a sewer machine, into a septic tank can be a nightmare. The cable has a tendency to coil up like a ball a yarn thus making it impossible to pull back out to the cleanout. Then you have to open the tank and disconnect the link along the way. Ask this dumb old plumber how he found out the hard way. But I do agree with watermedic, sounds like roots which means you have a crack somewhere and you are just giving those roots fertilizer.
I ran a flat drain snake in my mom's drain and knocked the baffle completely off in the septic tank. I thought I was at a turn or blockage,lol.

wildcats

Quick update..... little lady was dumping grease down drain. Over time this grease was solidifying on a small bundle of roots that had grown through where the drain pipe enters the tank. The root bundle was made up of roots that were as thin as needles. This created a large ball blocking the top of the baffle.
Roots removed along with clumps of grease and the system has been and will be in the future treated with root treatment.
Joys of home ownership ....... and having a stubborn young lady around.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We don't let bleach into our septic system. Nor grease.