Serious Tapeworm Warning-Graphic Pictures!!

CAPTDASH

Banned
I had a Black&Tan male hound that died this past year from a rare tapeworm. His stomach swelled upreal bad & he wasn't able to take a dump. I immediately took him to the vet, which missed the worms. They were all in his abdomen, unlike normal tapeworms that are just in the intestinal tract. He seemed to get better for a few days then went down hill again. I started researching. My vet used a 16 guage needle & was able to pull a bloody fluid out of his stomach. It was also full of worms. He sent these to the lab he uses in Tifton, which misdiagnosed the worm. We started treating him with megadoses of Panacur, I think it was. He still got no better. Another sample was sent to UGA's lab. They too misdiagnosed the worms. I did have enough to go on & had found a Vetenary parasitoligist in Oklahoma, that had worked with these Clinical parasitologist in CA. I got in touch with them & they started working with my vet & me. My vet opened up Roscoe & completely drained his abdomen & clean out handfuls of worms. It was gross. Roscoe seemed to get better. We were treating him with like 10 times the normal dose of Panacur twice a day. This went on for I think 2 months or so. The dog really suffered though a lot. In the end, we were draining the fluid off of his abdomen once a week. He would always feel better & act better. The last time his abdomen was drained, he never recovered. He got weaker & weaker unlike previous times. I took him to the vet who did all he could for him, but Roscoe's time was up, & there was nothing we could do for him. We decided to put him to sleep & before I could get there to do it, he died. The Doctors in CA said that Roscoe was the second dog to have contracted this type of tapeworm in the US.
They believe he contracted these worms from eating deer remains. My dogs are always dragging up deer parts where people dump them out all around our home. These parasites are common in deer, goats, rabbits,snakes, & rats. The research shows that he had to have gotten them most likely from the raw deer he was eating. My other dogs didn't contract this, but everyone doesn't catch the FLU either.
My point here is to not let your dogs eat raw deer & to watch out when cleaning a deer, if you see any worms in them, don't eat it. DESTROY it by fire or some means that completely kills the worms. This was like losing a child to me,because I love Roscoe like a child. I hope all all of you that have previously let your dogs eat deer scraps or any other Raw meat will think twice about it.
By the way My vets name is Dr Jim Rahn, from Eastman, GA. He was the absolute BEST at trying to save Roscoe's life. It just wasn't meant to be.
Don't be alarmed that we have an infested deer population, but you should report any animal with worms in it to maybe the State wildlife people, or the local Health Dept. This is a gruesome way for an animal to die. I would hope that none of you have to deal with this or any other problem that takes your pets life. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have some photos of Roscoe's surgery if any of you want to see what these parasites look like inside of a dog infected with them.

Beware of your pets eating RAW animal remains. Danny

specialk

thanks for the post danny, my beagles are always finding old deer legs and hides while hunting the deer leases during rabbit season. i'll keep an eye on them for sure......

Jkidd

I use Droncit religiously every 4 months to take care of Tapes. Use pyrantel and Ivomec monthly.

Jason

Lostoutlaw

I use Droncit religiously every 4 months to take care of Tapes. Use pyrantel and Ivomec monthly.

Jason

Same with me but mine never get outside to the woods all house dogs Show dogs for that but still have to watch 'em.
Danny I sure would like to see the pictures if ya don't mine Scince I am in the rescue business. Thanks Danny "also"

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Danny, sorry about your loss. Thanks for the informative post too.

CAPTDASH

Banned
Well, I will try this again. I am posting some pics, so beware, that they are gross. Use your own discretion. The first is my Roscoe with Molly, while he was King of my yard. I actually rescued both of them about 9 years ago when my neighbor abandoned them. Roscoe was eat up with the mange. I dipped him for 2 weeks with no improvement. Dr Rahn diagnosed him with Red Mange. I started treating him with Ivamec. After he got over the mange, I gave him 3 cc's of Ivamec once monthly, to control any parasites that a dog would encounter. These parasites were not affected by anything we tried. The previous few cases world wide of this parasite all resulted in death one way or the other. Dr Rahn's assistant took the pictures of the surgery. I don't know how one could manage to hold a camera & not throw up at the same time.

If you should encounter an unusual parasite, here is the website for the researchers in CA. Please don't waste their time. They won't respond to questions just for the sake of doing it. Their business is strictly Research. Go to www.wildlifehealthcenter.org . It will be best for your vet to contact them. The doctor only sent me one email, & that was after Roscoe died. I spoke with his assistant & passed a few emails, but they only want to deal with Vets.

The scientific name that was finally diagnosed properly was 2nd stage Spirometra,aka proliferative sparganosis, aka pleroceroids or plerocerci. It is a shame that at least one major university veterinary school in each region of the USA is not familiar with All possibilities. I am saddened by the fact that 2 labs in GA both misdiagnosed the parasites. Time was wasted, weeks, waiting on the right diagnosis. It could have made a difference in saving Roscoe.

Just remember to avoid letting your pets whether hunting dogs or not, to eat dead animal parts. Danny

Attachments

• ROSCOE-Molly.JPG
    ROSCOE-Molly.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 670
  • ROSCOE worms2.JPG
    ROSCOE worms2.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 986
  • ROSCOE worms1.JPG
    ROSCOE worms1.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 659

CAPTDASH

Banned
trying to do a couple more pics, but I am having a terrible time posting them. I am giving up. Can't get them to go.

CAPTDASH

Banned
One more try on the other 2 pics.

Attachments

• ROSCOE worms3.JPG
    ROSCOE worms3.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 830
  • ROSCOE worms4.JPG
    ROSCOE worms4.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 658

briguyz71

pics

All the yellow in the pics are worms? If so it is truly unimaginable that your poor pup had to go through so much. I am so sorry for your loss and appreciate your informing others.
Bri

Dixie Dawg

My gosh, I've never seen anything like that in my life. I especially am in awe that with so many of those worms any doctor could miss them when taking a stomach sample!! I'm so sorry that your dog had to go through that, and appreciate you passing on the information and warning! My dogs are indoor pets, but they sometimes do get into stuff in the pasture when they're let out to do their business, so it's good to know!

Kerri

CAPTDASH

Banned
Yes all the yellow is worms. My vet only missed it the first time, because he was using like a 23 guage needle, which is the normal size used to drain or sample the abdomen. It was after the second time, that his frustrations led him to try a 16 guage needle. This need is about the equivalent size of a 16 penny nail. So think about it, who would normally use something that big?
If we could have caught it a few weeks earlier, it may have made a difference, but I think the end result most likely would have been the same. my vet, Dr Rahn was totally dedicated to doing everything possible for Roscoe, as was his staff. They kept Roscoe so long, they all had adopted him. You usually don't see a whole staff at a vets office upset at the loss of a pet, but Dr Rahn's staff was. We, all had done all we knew to do for Roscoe. It just was not meant to be. I just prayed that if his time was up that GOD would let the sun shine upon him on his death, & it did.
Roscoe is buried beside my house where the sun Rises & sets upon him, with his collar & name tag shining in the sun.

Every time I have had a dog die or go missing, which has happened to me 3 times, another dog would show up here at the house within 3 days. Doc showed up a few days after Roscoe passed. So here I go again. Danny

bany

capt, i'm really sorry for your loss. i just lost my best friend monday in a tragic driveway accident. she was nine years old,a jack and rat terrier. the doc's tried to help but couldn't. we have a bad time of it,she was one of the kids. thank's for the heads up and i'm sorry your dog had to go through that.

Latest posts