Shoal Bass Symposium

Randy

For more information, contact:
Mark Redden, Executive Director, Shoal Bass Alliance, 229.881.4359
Gordon Rogers, Flint Riverkeeper & Executive Director, 912.223.6761
Elizabeth Starkey, Marketing and Communications Manager, Wildlife Resources Division, 706.557.3324

Shoal Bass Saturday: Conserving Our Shoal Bass Fishery for Our Children

Perry- Georgia is famous for its longstanding world record largemouth bass. However, Georgia is also home to all the world’s other black bass species except one. Northern and Florida strains of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, redeye (or Coosa) bass, Suwannee bass, and a bass from the Savannah River drainage that may yet be named ‘Bartram’ bass: all are found in the waters of Georgia. However, Georgia’s most unique bass is arguably the Shoal Bass. A joy on any tackle, the Shoal Bass is probably the world’s finest bass to target with a fly rod because of its presence in free flowing, shoal-filled rivers, its willingness to strike, its propensity for large leaps, and its hard-fighting, dogged resistance until finally landed. Native populations of Shoal Bass exist only in the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint River system in the States of Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Shoal Bass are already listed as a “threatened species” in Alabama! The populations of Florida and Georgia have declined, and have ceased to exist in large segments of the ACF that have been impounded. The fish that we all love to catch is facing intense pressure from loss of habitat, loss of water flow and quality, predation by invasive species such as the flathead catfish, and competition and crossbreeding with the invasive spotted bass. It is time to conserve our fish, before it is too late. The great economic and ecological potential of Georgia’s Shoal Bass fishery is challenged by credible threats. Conservation efforts are required to manage, sustain and increase this natural heritage for all of Georgia.

HEAR FROM SCIENTISTS & DISCUSS THE ISSUES WITH RESOURCE MANAGERS. Saturday, June 16th 2012 5-8pm Go Fish Education Center 1255 Perry Parkway Perry, Georgia 31069

AGENDA

Introduction and Welcoming Remarks: Gordon Rogers, Riverkeeper and Executive Director of Flint Riverkeeper, Inc.

Welcoming Remarks: John Biagi, Chief, Fisheries Management Section, Wildlife Resources Division, Georgia DNR

Georgia’s Black Basses: Randy Vining, Fishing Guide, and affiliated with Georgia Kayak Fishermen and Shoal Bass Alliance

Upper Flint, headwaters to Blackshear: Dr. Steve Sammons, Auburn University, Scientific Vice President of the Shoal Bass Alliance

Population Trends in Upper Flint Jimmy Evans, Fisheries Section, WRD, Georgia DNR
Based on Standardized Sampling, 1984-2011:

Warwick to Chehaw: Andrew Taylor, University of Georgia, Shoal Bass Alliance member

Lower Flint (below Chehaw): Travis Ingram, Fisheries Section, WRD, Georgia DNR

Shoal bass genetics, invasive species: Dr. Mike Tringali, Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission

Q&A from the audience: Presenters, moderated by Rogers

What are we fishermen willing to do? Mark Redden, Shoal Bass Alliance Executive Director, and Flint Riverkeeper Board of Directors member

This is a free public event. Attendees are encouraged to visit the Go Fish Education Center during normal business hours and for regular tour ticket prices, before the Shoal Bass meeting.

This event is sponsored by Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division, Fisheries Management Section; Flint Riverkeeper; Southeast Watershed Forum; and the Wild Rivers Campaign The mission of the Flint Riverkeeper® (FRk) is to restore and preserve the habitat, water quality, and flow of the Flint River for the benefit of current and future generations and dependent wildlife.
The mission of the Wildlife Resources Division is to conserve, enhance and promote Georgia’s wildlife resources, including game and nongame animals, fish and protected plants. Georgia ranks among the top states in wildlife diversity and offers an abundance of activities for the wildlife enthusiast.

Cletus T.

Thanks for posting Randy......good stuff here!!!

I'm on a quest to catch my first shoal bass.......I want one REAL BAD!!!

quick question. do the same black bass statewide limits apply to shoalies in the ocmulgee, and in spite of them being nonindigenous in in the ocm, is there legislation/ideas on the table for facilitating them in the ocm as a game fish, the habitat between lake jackson and macon is ideal for them, hence why they've flourished.

Randy

That is what we hope to accomplish. Even though the shoalie is not native to the Ocmulgee we hope to get them protected.

Randy

Ceel limits do apply to shoalies but there are no length limits on the Ocmulgee.

puddlehunter

The biggest threat I see is people regularly keeping a stringer full of them. A friend of mine was on the flint two days ago and a group had two stringers full of 16 inch Sholies..and I'm pretty sure this particular group of people couldn't tell a shoalie from any other kind of bass.

I probably won't be able to make it down there but you have my permission to express for the protection of the fish, we have to limit or even stop the taking of the Shoal Bass. An online petition might help as well.

I wish I could make it to the symposium

LanceColeman

Stringers full of shoalies in my opinion does have a big effect on them (especially when you see big bellied females on the stringer) but stinkin spots seem to be the most adverse effect up high on the hooch. Where you used to catch a 2:1 ration of shoalie vs spot. Now it's more like a 5:1 ratio of spot vs shoalie. Spots are taking over. Replace the shoalies on your stringer with Spots and the river will be a better place (JMHO)

puddlehunter

stringers full of shoalies in my opinion does have a big effect on them (especially when you see big bellied females on the stringer) but stinkin spots seem to be the most adverse effect up high on the hooch. Where you used to catch a 2:1 ration of shoalie vs spot. Now it's more like a 5:1 ratio of spot vs shoalie. Spots are taking over. Replace the shoalies on your stringer with spots and the river will be a better place (jmho)

x2!!!

i think there was some recent research that suggested that spots weren't as detrimental to shoalies as once thought, that they were occupying a separate ecological niche, might've been based on the ocm. In the ocm, the biggest threat isn't spots, it's rednecks. The bigger fish are being poached in the shallow clearer waters where they're easier to catch. From 16 to the spring st. bridge this seems to be the case. the bigger fish just don't seem as plentiful as when I first started pursuing these natural treasures. We went today and managed to combine for nearly 40 fish, but only 4 of our fish were over 2 lbs, that's not good. Some of the larger fish have probably moved to deeper pools but the shoals and the separate channels near the shoals just don't appear to be holding the quality fish they once did.

Randy

i think there was some recent research that suggested that spots weren't as detrimental to shoalies as once thought, that they were occupying a separate ecological niche, might've been based on the ocm. In the ocm, the biggest threat isn't spots, it's rednecks. The bigger fish are being poached in the shallow clearer waters where they're easier to catch. From 16 to the spring st. bridge this seems to be the case. the bigger fish just don't seem as plentiful as when I first started pursuing these natural treasures. We went today and managed to combine for nearly 40 fish, but only 4 of our fish were over 2 lbs, that's not good. Some of the larger fish have probably moved to deeper pools but the shoals and the separate channels near the shoals just don't appear to be holding the quality fish they once did.

Actually spots are still a big concern. We at first though they may spawn before shoalies and their fry would be big enough to eat the shoal fry when they came off but that does not appear to be as big as first thought though still a concern. But what has been found is the definately compete for forage. Largemouth live in the slacker waters while shoal bass thrive mostly in the shoals. But studies show spots are like coyotes. The are everywhere and compete with both the largemouth and shoal bass for forage. While some rivers, or parts of show a very high mortality rate from fishermen, overall this is not a huge threat. However if you are a bass and you live in the Flint river from Flat shoals to Big Lazer, you stand a pretty high chance of being consumed by a fisherman. This also applies to certain areas of other rivers like those near bridges or other access points. If you are a bass you need to stay a mile or more from easy access points. I hope many of you who are interested in the shoal bass and our rivers will attend this symposium.

Actually spots are still a big concern. We at first though they may spawn before shoalies and their fry would be big enough to eat the shoal fry when they came off but that does not appear to be as big as first thought though still a concern. But what has been found is the definately compete for forage. Largemouth live in the slacker waters while shoal bass thrive mostly in the shoals. But studies show spots are like coyotes. The are everywhere and compete with both the largemouth and shoal bass for forage. While some rivers, or parts of show a very high mortality rate from fishermen, overall this is not a huge threat. However if you are a bass and you live in the Flint river from Flat shoals to Big Lazer, you stand a pretty high chance of being consumed by a fisherman. This also applies to certain areas of other rivers like those near bridges or other access points. If you are a bass you need to stay a mile or more from easy access points. I hope many of you who are interested in the shoal bass and our rivers will attend this symposium.

Right, but 16 to wise creek is pretty accessible. juliet to dames , dames to popes, popes to river north, spring st. and beyond. all pretty accessible. I stand by my point.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We plan making this, thanks for the info.

Randy

Back to the top! Thanks to Brad Myers for allowing me to talk about this on 92.6 The Bear this morning. Hope to see some of you there.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I heard the interview and thought it was very good and informative.