Shoalies on the Fly

Randy

Went to the river yesterday. I took only my flyrod. My buddy said great now I can catch the fish while you fight the flyrod. I still caught more than he did. Nothing big but we had fun. Here is one from the day:
PA240166.jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Deal!
Great pic Randy!

krusty

Nice, I have been thinking about getting a heavier weight fly rod to chase the bass and stripes up here in the the North GA rivers. The 5 weight I have is a little light for throwing clousers, decievers, etc. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Randy

Nice, I have been thinking about getting a heavier weight fly rod to chase the bass and stripes up here in the the North GA rivers. The 5 weight I have is a little light for throwing clousers, decievers, etc. Any recommendations?
My river rods are a Sage 7 wt., a Sage Smallmouth Rod and a Sage Largemouth rod. I do also carry my Sage 5wt. sometimes. 5 wt. will handle most river fish.

krusty

Randy - Thanks for the reply. I was thinking a 7 weight would be a good fit for throwing the heavier streamers and the occasional popper over my 5 wieght.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Randy, I bet that was a blast. Hope you enjoyed those river fish on the long rod.

yaknfish

Looks like fun, Randy. Bass on the fly rod is good sport.

DFB

Heavier Fly Rod

I fish with a 7, 8 or 10 weight Sage RPLXi depending on the size, the shape of the lure, the wind and the distance I'm dealing with. I'm looking for a 3 piece 9 weight to fill in the hole. My "if I have to pick one go to" favorite rod right now is the 8 wt. but that might change when I get the 9 wt.
I almost forgot, they are all 9'.

Last edited:

Randy

My 9wt is a little heavy for me to cast to bass all day. This one was caught on a Sage zaxis 7wt. I also use a sage smallmouth some times.

krusty

Thanks again guys. Which way to do you guys go with the line, WF-Floating or do you guys use a sinking tip. First thought would be to go with the WF-F and that we wouldn't need the sinking tip unless fishing deep rivers or lakes. I have always been pretty loyal to the SA Mastery series of line, but do you guys have a preference? Do you go with line geared for bass, stripers, etc? I saw that SA has a line designed for Redfish which I thought looked interesting and would work well for bass, stripes, and if I ever get down to the gulf again. Any thoughts?

DFB

Line?

Thanks again guys. Which way to do you guys go with the line, WF-Floating or do you guys use a sinking tip. First thought would be to go with the WF-F and that we wouldn't need the sinking tip unless fishing deep rivers or lakes. I have always been pretty loyal to the SA Mastery series of line, but do you guys have a preference? Do you go with line geared for bass, stripers, etc? I saw that SA has a line designed for Redfish which I thought looked interesting and would work well for bass, stripes, and if I ever get down to the gulf again. Any thoughts?

I've been using the Orvis WF9F in the big bug tapers, it's supposed to turn over the large bugs better. I did pick up some new SA Mastery WF9F Bass Bug Fly Line at BPS the other day, but haven't spooled it up yet. I fish these on my 8 wt to load it up and slow it down a little or a 9 wt if I feel the need to throw a lot of line. I guess if you were using wooly buggers or something similar you could use just about anything that "feels" good.

Jimmy Harris

Randy,I love reading your shoal bass reports. You've definitely got those critters dialed in. I've come to really like fishing for them with a 7'11" 6 wt. Ross FlyStik. Similar to the Sage Smallmouth rod. Keep those reports coming.