Shootable 6 point?

brian lee

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE!!!

I'm in Meriwether County where there is an antler restriction of a minimum of 4 pts on one side. This typically is a 2.5 - 3.5 yr old 8 point.

The antler restrictions are in place because hunters don't have the self restraint NOT to shoot 6 pointers! If you hunt on my property I have a 10 pt minimum. I will let my 9 year old son shoot an 8pt but NOTHING smaller.

Some of these 6pt bucks you guys have posted are HUGE! I wonder what they would have looked like a year or two later?

That's how my nephew shot this 12 pt last year.

Would you rather shoot a 6 point EVERY year or an 8 or 10 maybe a 12 point every 2-3 yrs?

Most of the time when a 6 pt gets as big as some of these, that's all they will ever be. So pointing the finger & saying what you've said is ludicrous. You have your standards & so does everyone else, why pass judgement on them for their own decisions. Shame on you as a hunter to do so. To anyone who wants to shoot a 6 pt regardless of how his head gear grows by all means you shoot what makes you happy. Now I judge maturity by body bc his head gear may not be up to par for his present time in his life.

Sgajacket

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE!!!

I'm in Meriwether County where there is an antler restriction of a minimum of 4 pts on one side. This typically is a 2.5 - 3.5 yr old 8 point.

The antler restrictions are in place because hunters don't have the self restraint NOT to shoot 6 pointers! If you hunt on my property I have a 10 pt minimum. I will let my 9 year old son shoot an 8pt but NOTHING smaller.

Some of these 6pt bucks you guys have posted are HUGE! I wonder what they would have looked like a year or two later?

Would you rather shoot a 6 point EVERY year or an 8 or 10 maybe a 12 point every 2-3 yrs?

I would take several of the six points posted over the deer you have posted here. I know it's :deadhorse:, but it's about age if you are managing. If you aren't managing, it's about FUN or MEAT. Six points provide either of those. As far as government restrictions.....let's just say I'm no fan of the government in general. Every deer down is a :yeah: to me, and I don't know why so many folks want to :whip: others over their choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

brian lee

This is a 6 pt that I've got on my property. Let his daddy walk last year thinking he may be better this year. Guess what...... If his daddy shows up he's getting a dirt nap. If this deer wonders by me he will get one more year bc that's MY judgement bc he's young

Ps- this one meets the 4 points on one side

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 2,204

FOLES55

I better not show you guys my 5pt with a 21 inchspread that was 6-7 years old cause I might get CRACKilacked on. Just remember your not hunting together so what you do in your woods only has to satisfy you and keep you comments tasteful and helpful to one another.

Shoot what makes you happy and good luck gents!

Buck Nasty

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE!!!

Some of these 6pt bucks you guys have posted are HUGE! I wonder what they would have looked like a year or two later? An exception would be an OLD buck. But around here those are a rare thing that we don't have to worry about seeing. Do we AlwaysLethalNeverDetected?

and this is why I try to hang out in the Paymaster Outdoor Cafe Section...... Someone always trying to urinate on someones happiness in this section.

satchmo

Antler laws

This is a main frame 6 with a 1.5 inch kicker off of his g2. ( the only thing that made him legal in northern Mo. Off my farm I lease. This is the downside to a four points on one side rule, but.. It's the only was to make the everyday guy somewhat a deer manager. I'd say if it's legal ,and it makes you happy,blast away and please share the pictures. Good luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 401

CraKaLaCKiN

Most of the time when a 6 pt gets as big as some of these, that's all they will ever be. So pointing the finger & saying what you've said is ludicrous. You have your standards & so does everyone else, why pass judgement on them for their own decisions. Shame on you as a hunter to do so. To anyone who wants to shoot a 6 pt regardless of how his head gear grows by all means you shoot what makes you happy. Now I judge maturity by body bc his head gear may not be up to par for his present time in his life.

And the standard set by the State would make shooting those illegal. Just sayin'

brian lee

And the standard set by the State would make shooting those illegal. Just sayin'

Technically it's not illegal bc if I recall right if he lives in a county that has no QDM rule he can legally shoot this deer unless he's used his any size antlered tag. Sorry we ran all over you but you don't have the power to justify his decisions in what he kills. Just saying

FOLES55

We need a new forum moderators for the negative know it all nelly's. go there crackilackhead and continue ur rant please. You obviously haven't got the message from other members. We understand your views and such they just don't apply in everyone else's hunting woods. I agree with shooting big mature deer and thank full to have harvested several. If a 130inch 6pt buck if there was onewalked by you in a none qdma county you would blister his butt. Rightfully so and the dancing smile faces would fill your thread you generated, so let the man shoot his 40 inch or whatever inch buck he wants without ridacull of your own personal expectations, unless your care enough to mount his next deer meeting your standards.

Hit-n-Miss

I love a big 6pt. Saw a nice one last year. But I was already bucked out. I'd take him any day. Very nice looking buck.

GTHunter007

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE!!!

Some of these 6pt bucks you guys have posted are HUGE! I wonder what they would have looked like a year or two later? An exception would be an OLD buck. But around here those are a rare thing that we don't have to worry about seeing.

Get one thing straight...antler restrictions are put on a county because idiot hunters there ASK for something to make their neighbors curb their trigger fingers. There is not a management plan for growing big whitetails across the US that uses ANY sort of minimum points to determine what to shoot. Especially not as the only requirement. The fact of the matter is, majority of hunters don't know how to judge age, spread, or beam length...potential when you can't judge this is impossible to figure out. SO dumbing it down to 4 on a side protects most 1 yr olds, some 2 yr olds and very few 3 yr old animals...nothing more. Bucks are meeting the state requirements and are still 2 years away from showing you their potential.

You say you have a 10 pt minimum on your property...good job dude. That is one of the most insane rules I have ever heard a claimed land manager utter. One that doesn't shock me coming from someone who just said my posted picture of a 5.5 year old 6pt should not have been shot. LOL Fact is most bucks will just be 8 points. Why do you think the major deer farms and managers like the King Ranch and others in Texas kill mature "cull" 8 points? Is it because their property isn't as good as your magic GA piece of dirt? HAHAHA!!

I want to shoot a mature 5 yr old and up buck. I don't care is he is a 120" 6 like the one I posted or a 170" 12. They will both go on my hit list and lord be with whichever one crosses my path.

The buck your nephew killed is a nice buck...but he is a mainframe 10 with 2 kickers. There will be 500 of those killed in GA this year.

I have a mainframe 8 with 2 kickers this year on camera...he is a 10pt by your counting...he is 2 1/2 years old, sounds like a great candidate for you to take doesn't it.

Last edited by a moderator:

brian lee

It seems to me like this FORUM has become a place for people to ridicule others of what's a trophy I their eyes. This is not a debate meet. and I'm sure eventually the moderators will come up with a solution for people like this........ A debate forum so maybe those of us who see what the original poster sees'. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder & if that's not you then GREAT. But don't cast judgement on him for what he sees to be a trophy. If I stand correct we are not suppose judge no one for any reason. He's not breaking a law. If you don't like his standards of what makes him happytgen ......... KICK ROCKS DUDE.

across the river

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE!!!

Some of these 6pt bucks you guys have posted are HUGE! I wonder what they would have looked like a year or two later? An exception would be an OLD buck. But around here those are a rare thing that we don't have to worry about seeing.

Several of those sixes are older and more mature than the 12 your nephew killed.

headhunter 07

I have plenty of nice 8, 9, 10, and 11 pointers on the wall and I would replace them all with the 7 1/2 yr old 7pnt that only scored 100" I killed last year...... I've never understood the point or score rules people place to manage deer?? Only thing that should matter (if your managing your heard) is MATURITY! Most GA hunters don't even realize how many mature bucks in GA will never reach the 130" mark. My worthless 2¢. Had to edit because I left out the most important part. If you are happy with the deer you kill that is 100% all that matters! If you wanna killem then I hope you roll his but proudly!! and please post some pics!!

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
It seems to me like this FORUM has become a place for people to ridicule others of what's a trophy I their eyes. This is not a debate meet. and I'm sure eventually the moderators will come up with a solution for people like this........ A debate forum so maybe those of us who see what the original poster sees'. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder & if that's not you then GREAT. But don't cast judgement on him for what he sees to be a trophy. If I stand correct we are not suppose judge no one for any reason. He's not breaking a law. If you don't like his standards of what makes him happytgen ......... KICK ROCKS DUDE.

We did come up with a solution. Right here.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=429272&highlight=

T.P.

Banned
Several of those sixes are older and more mature than the 12 your nephew killed.

There was a thread a few months back where he was dogging his nephew hard for shooting that buck. Pretty sure he said he wasn't welcome back to his place, said he had hunted way too hard just to let a kid come in and shoot the only buck killed on his place that year.

This will give a little insight on what page crakalakin is on.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, everyone has their own judgement, club rules, and state/county laws they have to follow when it comes to whether to shoot a particular deer or not.
You are welcome to post your thoughts on the OP's photo as to whether you thin he's a shooter or not, but de-railing the thread into a moratorium on the 6 point laws and directing your views at a particular member is not.