Shooting deer on crop permits from DNR

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Not trying to get in the middle of a spat, but I am a landowner that rents out 3 fields to a farmer. Can the farmer get depredation permits to kill deer on MY land without me knowing about it? Just curious.

Yes, but he would be breaking the law and invalidating the permit by doing so without your consent. The permit is a worthless piece of paper without landowner consent and they will be cited as if the permit never existed if the landowner chooses to prosecute.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I know a farmer that killed several hundred deer last year and over 100 this year.

I don't know how his permit works, but he lays them down.

I will not give his name or location.

I've got no issues with farmers protecting their crops. I do have issues with tax payers subsidizing farmers though.
I'm still waiting on my subsidies for home building.

bigblocktransam

I mean ya know my lease is for sale, if uh any farmers want to make few bucks no pun, I’m looking for somewhere new to hunt. Have gun will travel.

LittleDrummerBoy

Yes, but he would be breaking the law and invalidating the permit by doing so without your consent. The permit is a worthless piece of paper without landowner consent and they will be cited as if the permit never existed if the landowner chooses to prosecute.

When I was a farmer, the landowner had already consented in the lease agreement before I planted. No additional consent, knowledge, or permission was needed after damage occurred and permission was secured from the state. If the fine print of the lease agreement gives the farmer blanket permission to "kill nuisance animals" or "control pests", I don't think additional consent is needed. The farmer already has consent and written permission.

Is there something in GA law that requires additional permissions for deer? I doubt it.

LittleDrummerBoy

I know a farmer that killed several hundred deer last year and over 100 this year.

Depending on the size of the land, the ability to kill hundreds of deer on a single agricultural property suggests a significant overpopulation problem in that location.

huntersluck

I understand the farmers are in the farming business not the deer business. I have seen it first hand though take a toll on the population in a certain area I will leave nameless.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
When I was a farmer, the landowner had already consented in the lease agreement before I planted. No additional consent, knowledge, or permission was needed after damage occurred and permission was secured from the state. If the fine print of the lease agreement gives the farmer blanket permission to "kill nuisance animals" or "control pests", I don't think additional consent is needed. The farmer already has consent and written permission.

Is there something in GA law that requires additional permissions for deer? I doubt it.

It just depends on what language is included with the lease agreement. The landowner has the ability to specifically exclude hunting or shooting deer from the lease agreement. If it has language like you suggested, then that would be considered legal consent to obtain a permit.