Should the 3 bird Limit be reduced?

Carp

I don't think, that many people kill the limit or even two a season. Lowering the limit is only a band aid fix. It might help a little but they need to look at the root cause of the problem whether it's predator control or loosing habitat or all of it combined. With all that said, I would not be opposed to a two bird limit or limiting to one bird a day. Maybe offer a bounty on predators. Other states do it.

Gaswamp

I don't think, that many people kill the limit or even two a season. Lowering the limit is only a band aid fix. It might help a little but they need to look at the root cause of the problem whether it's predator control or loosing habitat or all of it combined. With all that said, I would not be opposed to a two bird limit or limiting to one bird a day. Maybe offer a bounty on predators. Other states do it.
Hows it going? Missed seeing you guys at Unicoi

Gaswamp

Going good, retired a year ago. Liking it a lot. Ready for turkey season. You?
retired! I'm jealous...good for ya...yep I wake up with the shakes every morn

I am glad to read the latest GON with the study being conducted. It appears that I am not the only person concerned about the population. Hopefully they implement some changes statewide.

I wish they would just shut the season down for a year statewide to study it that way.

"I wish they would just shut the season down for a year statewide to study it that way."

That is not going to happen.

Just for an aside, I've seen more turkeys already this year than I have in the last several years. If the DNR didn't stop the quota hunts in the wma's for this season, frankly an opinion that the entire state needs to be shut down for one year holds no water.

good luck

I am glad I can still go hunt and If I get a chance to shoot three long beards I am going to do so.

Buckman18

I am glad to read the latest GON with the study being conducted. It appears that I am not the only person concerned about the population. Hopefully they implement some changes statewide.

I wish they would just shut the season down for a year statewide to study it that way.

I was glad to read Daryl Kirby’s common sense rebuttal to the fake news article. In fact, I was about to cancel my subscription until I read it. There are no changes needed.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

You always have the option to not hunt for the entire season yourself, if you feel that strongly about it.

DRBugman85

What a CROCK, the population of the Eastern wild turkey in Georgia is STRONG AS ever, I'm with Nic just stop hunting turkeys and start fishing.

Swamprat

Swamprat
You can always implement a limit of say 1-2 per person if on a lease, same for land you own or have access to. lots of clubs limit doe harvest when they feel population of does is dwindling, apply the same for turkeys.

Years ago when wild quail were plentiful we never shot the whole covey. Always left a few for future stock. If you have 1000 acres with 10 folks and lets say 12 gobblers using it whether be long beards or jakes. Cap the limit to one bird per member so you have carry over to breed for the next season.

What about the protection/population of birds on the public land?

How is that managed unless they shorten the season or make changes?

Wayne D Davis

I vote per wma estimated population each wma makes their own rules as they do already. I'm sure my home wma will not make any changes. When I hunt deer i hunt where deer are present. Same way I hunt turkey. You won't be successful hunting were there is no birds..... go where they are. Folks want to change things because where they hunt has few birds

cooner83

I think we have less turkeys than we did. Im in a club that has around 3,000ac. Less than a hand full of turkey hunters and we still seen a drop in numbers. 3 years ago I had a buddy with coon dogs come down every weekend after deer season and killed as many as we were allowed till season ended. We have seen a increase in numbers since. Coons kill more turkeys than anything else. Ive a lot of bought traps since ive seen the impact! Put in a little work and you will see the difference.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think we have less turkeys than we did. Im in a club that has around 3,000ac. Less than a hand full of turkey hunters and we still seen a drop in numbers. 3 years ago I had a buddy with coon dogs come down every weekend after deer season and killed as many as we were allowed till season ended. We have seen a increase in numbers since. Coons kill more turkeys than anything else. Ive a lot of bought traps since ive seen the impact! Put in a little work and you will see the difference.
I agree , since fur prices are nothing nobody traps , not many years ago u could get 15-20$ for a coon hide and I know a lot more people done it , I think a lot of people are starting back trapping just to keep them in check , I know we have on the property I hunt !

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Coons and possums are worse on ground nesting birds than any other predator.

Mark K

Banned
Go to the right part of your town and you can keep the hide and sell the coon carcass for $15-20 and sell whole possums for $5.
I trap a guys place that calls and asks if he can get the coons out before I even get there to check them. To some they’re a delicacy!

Baracus

I too hunt Kansas. Do they actually have more birds or is it the fact you can see them from a mile away or more? And if you’re going by gobbles, a Rio will gobble just to hear himself gobble.
I hunt in eastern KS, hilly and its Eastern Turkeys, not Rios. Your argument makes no sense. The people that turn a blind eye to the obvious issue kill me.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Go to the right part of your town and you can keep the hide and sell the coon carcass for $15-20 and sell whole possums for $5.
I trap a guys place that calls and asks if he can get the coons out before I even get there to check them. To some they’re a delicacy!

You gotta leave the feet on a skinned out coon...least we did back in the 80's - early 90's so they knew for sure they were actually getting a coon. 5 bucks was the going price back then, we use to coon hunt a lot especially when the oranges were getting ripe or just past ripe in the groves of Central FL.

Joe Overby

AMEN![/QUOTE]
I’m always baffled by the folks who want to reduce my limit and/or the length of my season instead of focusing on things that would truly be effective in helping their turkeys such as: killing predators on their land and planting food plots, etc. I think a lot of these folks need to learn how to hunt.
PREACH BROTHER!! PREACH IT!! YOU DO YOU AND LEAVE ME AND MY TURKEYS ALONE!! THIS MAN HAS IT FIGURED OUT!