Shoulder replacement surgery - What should I prepare myself for?

GeorgeShu

Looking at shoulder replacement surgery. Any body who has gone through it care to tell me what to expect and how to get through it.
Thanks

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have had three rotator cuff surgery since September of last year. Don’t know what to tell you besides don’t fall after you have the surgery. Do your rehab as the doctors prescribe. One of my surgeries went fantastic and I had no problems. My other shoulder is a piece of junk. Had surgery on Nov 30 then fell Christmas Eve my putting on a pair of pants in my bedroom. Tore it up worse than before my surgery on it. The first week you will hav e pain but it will get better quickly. Do your pt religiously and don’t DO NOT FALL

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Do a search here for shoulder surgery and search titles only. You will find enough material to keep you reading for a while. A Replacement will require a pretty painful recovery the success of which will depend on the skill of the surgeon and your willingness to push the rehab.

I had one at age 67 and pushed the rehab through regaining full range of motion but not through regaining full strength. Part of my surgery included relocating one of the attachment points for the bicep. That has resulted in that muscle cramping if held under tension for a short period in any direction besides a straight forearm curl. I am full strength on that side (for a 75 yr old - LOL) raising anything up to mid chest level. Above shoulder level 35lbs hurts.

I had no choice, a bad break and the arm would have been nearly useless without it. There are stories of much better recoveries than mine although I am happy with mine. I wish you the best of luck with yours.

hipster dufus

Im your man. Had my shoulders scoped. Knew i needed a new one. Had it done a yr ago feb 7th. Am more then happy with it. A week of pain, not unbearable. Scopes were worse and harder to recover from. Started pt at 5 weeks out. Went to 15 sessions. At 16 weeks i stopped going to pt and did them on my own. Every,single day. Every single day. I can do stuff i had not been able to do dor yrs. Biggest issue was wearing sling for 6 weeks while sleeping. U hav any questions pm me. Are u a veteran? Hav more info if u are. I was back bass fishin at 12 weeks. Slow but steady progress.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Looking at shoulder replacement surgery. Any body who has gone through it care to tell me what to expect and how to get through it.
Thanks
Pain,pills ,and practice.
Pain for a while after surgery.
Pills to help with the pain,
And practice using the other arm for everything you need 2 arms for.
2 rotator cuff,2 carpal tunnel,and 2 elbow surgeries in the last 2 years for me.

GeorgeShu

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. Just what I needed to hear. I am 76 and have arthritis with bone on bone stuff. Also tore a tendon in my rotator cuff. Doc advises replacement. Hate the idea of being laid up for 6 weeks plus in a sling. Got things I gotta do! Been limping along but know that can’t continue. Was hoping things would scab up and hair over but that just isn’t going to happen apparently.

Have not made a date yet for surgery but will do that next week.

Thanks again and will take strength from your experiences.

hipster dufus

Sir, i had mine done at 63, i should hav had it done at 60.like i said, i had both shoulders scoped before and the recovery was worse w more pain. Do not b brave, take the pain meds before u need them, pain lasted less then a week. If u saw me now u would think i never had it done. I am way better, can actually use my arm now.not perfect but close. Iam diligent about rehab, slow and steady. Was released to go hard at 6 mo. I did my pt every single day and still do. Early on i did my stretches every couple hrs. Now i lift and use rubber bands. Day diesnt go by i dont do some kind of pt.still have pain but it is minimal, usually if i hit it too hard. Lotta delt exercises. Good luck

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Im your man. Had my shoulders scoped. Knew i needed a new one. Had it done a yr ago feb 7th. Am more then happy with it. A week of pain, not unbearable. Scopes were worse and harder to recover from. Started pt at 5 weeks out. Went to 15 sessions. At 16 weeks i stopped going to pt and did them on my own. Every,single day. Every single day. I can do stuff i had not been able to do dor yrs. Biggest issue was wearing sling for 6 weeks while sleeping. U hav any questions pm me. Are u a veteran? Hav more info if u are. I was back bass fishin at 12 weeks. Slow but steady progress.
This bout sums it up! I had a total reverse shoulder replacement Feb 13. I hear it is much easier and better than any “repair”. I believe it!
My pain level never went above maybe a 2 or 3. The first two weeks have been the worst, but that’s due to wearing the sling constantly. I hate sleeping on my back, and I don’t have a recliner. I’m still on the couch!
My range of motion is already way better than before and my shoulder doesn’t crunch anymore! It feels great being nice and smooth with the new hardware! We should have done it sooner!

4C35F063-815C-4317-B09C-995AF5363E1F.jpeg

Firescooby

I'll be going down this road eventually. Had my first shoulder surgery 20 years ago, had another one 4 months ago. It was trashed this time (bicep tendons tore, labram had several tears. He said this was gonna be the LAST repair possible. Next will be a replacement.That was my "weak" shoulder.

MY dominant shoulder is almost as bad. Had MRI in December on it and he said it was as bad or worse than left, but since it's my dominant...it's stronger and I'm not as troubled by it.

I'll be 49 in a few months, and plan on retiring in about 14-18 months. I'll have 32 years of being a career firefighter and it has taken it's toll. I've got herniated L6, L7, L8, SI joints are gone, left foot needs reconstructed, and I'm gonna need both knees scoped sooner rather than later.

Gettin old is gonna be fun.

hipster dufus

Heres before n after

Attachments

• 1A35BF61-CC6E-4534-BC97-DF6E49BBC5D2.jpeg
    1A35BF61-CC6E-4534-BC97-DF6E49BBC5D2.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 7