Single Shot turkey guns?

Big7

The Oracle
Easy.

New England/H&R Topper, 3 or even 3 1/2 chamber. Fixed "full" choke.

Allen, and that's brand specific, ALLEN camo tape applied accordingly. It's way quiet, dull+ flat, with an excellent camo pattern.

Then, opinions vary but I shoot 3 1/2 inch Remmington #4 lead shot.

Ready, aim, fire = BANG FLOP.?
That combo has been working for me over prolly 25 years.

I have "several" shotguns. That little baby is my go- to.?

Mattval

Those new Henry single shotguns look nice. I have not shot any of them though.

Big7

The Oracle
Thinking about going with the HR pardner turkey 12g or the Stevens 301 20g. I really want one with screw in chokes tho so I can put a jebs or Indian creek in it. Any thoughts?

Yeah... I have a thought or two.??
If the purpose is a designated Turkey gun, you are way better off with a fixed full choke.
The screw in chokes ram all the shot in the very short length of the choke.
With a fixed choke, the shot make the transition over a lot longer length. Several inches at the end of the barrel. That keeps the shot from deforming as much. That, in turn, keeps the shot round. That gives you more predictable patterns and longer range.

Just get the New England/H&R Topper with a fixed full choke and don't look back !!!??

Big7

The Oracle
PS... Topper and Pardner are the same.?

Big7

The Oracle
And... I'm going to get you some info on the RIA Imports "Tradition". They are very high quality. Made in Turkey.

I have 2. One .410 bore and one 20 ga. I'm very happy with both.

BASS1FUN

I started off with a single shot 12ga but my cousin that was a turkey killing machine at the time advised against it, his advice was if you needed a quick follow up shot you won’t have it. I bought a 10ga single shot last year (mostly for field birds that I hunt in Kansas) trust me I don’t need a follow up shot with this wattle smasher

Buckman18

The Stevens 301 is essentially an H&R/NEF, except its lighter (composite), and its much cheaper when you consider its already threaded for chokes. I dont have the 20 yet, but I do have the 301T in 410 and the regular 301 in 12 gauge (came black and I painted it - may have it dipped).

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1501 (2).JPG
20200203_122601.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I got a Sumtoy choke for the Yildiz O/U, it patterns well. They make a single which I wouldn't hesitate to buy after owning the O/U.

ssramage

I have two, a 20 and .410, that I use.

The 20 gauge is probably my most sentimental gun. It was the last Christmas gift that I ever received from my mom before she passed away. I got it when I was 12 and it sat in the closet for a number of years until I carried it up to GunDoc and let him work his magic on it. Had it threaded for a screw in Colonial XFull turkey choke, drilled/tapped for the Burris FastFire and lengthened the forcing cones. It will flat shoot and will outshoot a number of 12 gauges that I've seen. It's deadly with the old Federal Heavyweight #7s.

The .410 is a more recent acquisition and had basically all of the same work performed by Sumtoy as I had done on my 20 gauge. It shoots awesome with TSS #9.5 as well. Hoping my son can knock one in the dirt with it this season.

Attachments

• Turkey guns.jpg
    Turkey guns.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20 gauge Hvywght 7.jpg
    20 gauge Hvywght 7.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 410 TSS 40 yd.jpg
    410 TSS 40 yd.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 49

delacroix

BANNED
Here is my daughters yildiz double 410. Super light.

QUOTE]

Congrats to the girl. That picture is frameworthy.

A baby frame 28 ga is as light because it is built on the same size frame. There are 20ga built as light, too, with more than the usual amount of material removed from stocks and barrels.

Buckman18

I've considered one of the 20 or 12 yildiz doubles for myself. Just seems like they'd be a fun turkey gun, and they sure are beautiful for the price.

Another gun Im wanting that is first on the list is an old model 37 Winchester. My dad has a 370. I want the one with walnut, even if Ive gotta refinish it. Full choke, 20, 12, or 16 and shoot tss out of it. Ive been eyeing gunbroker waiting on the right deal. Seems like none of my local pawn shops see them any more.

frankwright

GgFqlt7l.jpg

My Savage Stevens 301 Compact 20ga is pretty dang light! I paid $134 for it online and $20 to my FFL.
I am going to shoot it more and try to hunt as is to keep weight down. I will add a red dot if I absolutely have to.