Skinning/field dressing question

HardlyHangin

Can someone clarify the order of operations, specifically regarding the layer of fat - I'm trying to kill my first bear and am working through the process in my head if I get one down.

Do you leave the fat on the cape as you peel it off of the carcass and then scrape the fat off the cape?

Do you take the skin off the fat, then cut the fat off the carcass, then meat?

Does it matter?

I'm thinking I can start to skin it normally to preserve the cape, but use the "gutless method" after I get the skin off and just debone the meat like I would a deer. I haven't read of anyone doing it this way but I don't foresee any issues?

Swampdogg

Here is my process..
layout a tarp
Open cavity and get the guts/blood out
Slide bear onto tarp
Make skinning cuts and start peeling the hide off trying to leave fat with the meat
Cut the paws at the joints so they stay with hide(watch a video on that)
Remove quarter and repeat for the others.
Rib roll or cut out all rib meat and neck meat , cut joint at atlas bone to loosen the head, then continue skinning out the head. I deal with the fat once I get home , it’s cold from sitting on ice and peels off easier.
All of this I do if temps are warm
If you have good weather you could go gutless, I have a hard time playing with a knife trying to get the heart and tenders out not seeing where I’m cutting so I always open them up.

Hope that helps

chrislibby88

Here is my process..
layout a tarp
Open cavity and get the guts/blood out
Slide bear onto tarp
Make skinning cuts and start peeling the hide off trying to leave fat with the meat
Cut the paws at the joints so they stay with hide(watch a video on that)
Remove quarter and repeat for the others.
Rib roll or cut out all rib meat and neck meat , cut joint at atlas bone to loosen the head, then continue skinning out the head. I deal with the fat once I get home , it’s cold from sitting on ice and peels off easier.
All of this I do if temps are warm
If you have good weather you could go gutless, I have a hard time playing with a knife trying to get the heart and tenders out not seeing where I’m cutting so I always open them up.

Hope that helps
I do gutless even if it’s warmer, I just remove the hams first, and try to get to the tenderloins as soon as possible. I also try to remove as much fat as possible during skinning, but I go a step further and remove it from the meat while I’m working, and load it into a separate game bag with trimmings, ribs, etc. especially if it’s warm. I want all the fat off the quarters so they don’t have any insulation on them and can start cooling asap.

Edit: I don’t think there is a right or wrong way, this is just my preferred method for now, and it is subject to change over time as I quarter more and more bears.

Last edited: