SLOW DOWN!

Shadow11

I was up there Monday to get a patient.
Met with the local family there, and a few FF Paramedics that work up there.
They were telling me they had 8 fatalities over the weekend.
A wreck where 3 were ejected and died and this one that killed 5.
The Paramedic there was on scene and said he was told by the GSP investigator that they figure the corvette was well over 150, closer to 170 mph. Based on how high and far it flew through the air. I wonder if they could find the speedometer or computer to see for sure?
I saw the wreck site, and burned area. The corvette hit the trees on the right of the road about 150 feet from the impact site (not really that far) but it damaged the trees pretty well and they were decent sized pines.
There were 3 crosses and 2 old (2016) crosses there.
The stretch of road is Hwy 365, up beyond 985 and 384 I believe was the cross street. It is a pretty straight stretch but hilly with numerous cross streets with no traffic lights.

Absolutely no reason or way it would be safe. Not like an interstate with no cross traffic.

Of course its like everywhere else in the country, city folks going to the country and doing stupid crap because there's "no traffic out here".

Sad situation for the Deputy. I heard he was on shift. His wife was on the phone with her mother and the phone went dead. They had that app that lets you track family members. It alerted him to the accident. He called the dispatch center and was told there was a bad accident but didn't know if it was her.
Don't know if he went up there while the scene was active.
This was all from the Paramedic I spoke with.

People really need to slow down! Everywhere!

Wow, 170. That is unreal! Just plain stupid! No idea about the speedometer, but both vehicles exploded into fireballs at impact from what I read. I heard that other than a couple of rims, there was nothing else that even resembled a vehicle. I don't know this, but I heard from a guy at work that the deputy was one of the 1st to arrive the scene.

Man, my heart goes out for that guy. The radio/news station WDUN has a link posted on one of its stories where people can donate.

oldfella1962

I reckon it`s all in where you come from. Deer, hogs, coons, possums, even the occasional bear, doesn`t bother me when they crossing the road. Traffic I cant stand any more to the point I don`t even get on I 75. And I will never go up in the atlanta area again, ever.
I could at least tolerate the traffic if people didn't drive like maniacs. When I was stationed in Europe the traffic was denser, but it was safer because driving there is a privilege there, not a right! The drivers were more skilled and responsible than many American drivers.

Baroque Brass

I’m curious what it takes to get pulled over on I 75. I’ll usually set the cruise control for about 78 mph and people pass me like I’m standing still. A few miles down the road the LEO is running radar but no one gets pulled over. When I do see a car pulled over I have to wonder what they did.

oldfella1962

I’m curious what it takes to get pulled over on I 75. I’ll usually set the cruise control for about 78 mph and people pass me like I’m standing still. A few miles down the road the LEO is running radar but no one gets pulled over. When I do see a car pulled over I have to wonder what they did.
Maybe the drivers the cops pull over are creeping along doing the speed limit (or heaven forbid under the limit) and could be smoking weed while driving. :unsure: True story about speed limits: a guy I knew in the Air Force had a framed copy hanging on the wall of his office of a ticket he got while driving in California. The ticket was for impeding traffic - I say again impeding traffic - because he was driving a few MPH under the maximum posted speed
limit. o_O Not under the minimum - under the maximum. He was speeding and got a ticket for driving too slow.

Toliver

Maybe the drivers the cops pull over are creeping along doing the speed limit (or heaven forbid under the limit) and could be smoking weed while driving. :unsure: True story about speed limits: a guy I knew in the Air Force had a framed copy hanging on the wall of his office of a ticket he got while driving in California. The ticket was for impeding traffic - I say again impeding traffic - because he was driving a few MPH under the maximum posted speed
limit. o_O Not under the minimum - under the maximum. He was speeding and got a ticket for driving too slow.
You can get that here, too.

ucfireman

I wish more State Troopers were available for traffic stops, control. The local Police seem to not care about pulling idiot drivers over. Or they are not around on the interstates enough.
I see a lot of police that just ignore the speeders, no turn signals, weaving in and out of traffic, phone use, yellow/red light runners. It seems you have to be really obvious in your breaking the law to get stopped.
Maybe there are other calls they are responding to, I don't know.

I'm a believer in policing the little things and the big things will take care of themselves. In all situations.

Baroque Brass

They missed the one in the old Impala staying in the left lane and doing about 60mph. Cars were backed up trying to get around.

oldfella1962

I just can't imagine how it could be legal to ticket somebody - make them pay a fine - for not disobeying the law. A warning? Maybe, but even that would be hard rationalize.

Toliver

I just can't imagine how it could be legal to ticket somebody - make them pay a fine - for not disobeying the law. A warning? Maybe, but even that would be hard rationalize.
Well, it's legal to ticket them because there's a law prohibiting driving in the left lane under the speed limit. They even made a law that says you have to move out of the left lane, even if you're speeding, if someone comes up behind you going faster. They attempted to legislate a reduction of road rage but I personally never saw that one enforced.

oldfella1962

Well, it's legal to ticket them because there's a law prohibiting driving in the left lane under the speed limit. They even made a law that says you have to move out of the left lane, even if you're speeding, if someone comes up behind you going faster. They attempted to legislate a reduction of road rage but I personally never saw that one enforced.
The guy who got the California ticket wasn't in the left lane.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you get in the left lane here and don’t go with the flow of traffic Barney can write you one of them impeding tickets.

Lilly001

I wish more State Troopers were available for traffic stops, control. The local Police seem to not care about pulling idiot drivers over. Or they are not around on the interstates enough.
I see a lot of police that just ignore the speeders, no turn signals, weaving in and out of traffic, phone use, yellow/red light runners. It seems you have to be really obvious in your breaking the law to get stopped.
Maybe there are other calls they are responding to, I don't know.

I'm a believer in policing the little things and the big things will take care of themselves. In all situations.
Traffic enforcement is a tangled web.
On one hand you have the public that wants the freedom to drive like they want to, without heavy handed enforcement.
On the other hand the enforcement agencies have statistics that overwhelmingly show that speed is a huge cause of traffic fatalities and the related monetary cost to the public.
Then you throw in agencies that add to their budgets by focusing on writing tickets for revenue.
And if that’s not enough the whole forfeiture scheme is based mostly on traffic stops as the prima facia reason to start.
So how do we fix it?

tr21

has anyone driven on 400 ? My God it's faster than a Nascar track on race day ! if a trooper were to pull out it would be like that time a rabbit ran in front of a Indy car......or it would create a 80 car pileup !

DannyW

I can't speak for California law. They're special.
Any state that allows motorcycles to legally drive between lanes of traffic is insane.

I was driving stop and go traffic in Los Angeles (is there any other type of traffic there???) years ago. Saw an opening in the line of cars on my right and started to get over. Heard a horn and slammed on my breaks just as a motorcycle flashed between me and the other lane at 30-40 MPH. Missed him by inches.

According to the legal law I would have been at fault. But he would have been injured or dead. Kind of win the battle but lost the war.

Ron White is right...you can't fix stupid.

oldfella1962

If you get in the left lane here and don’t go with the flow of traffic Barney can write you one of them impeding tickets.
I think more states have this law too. I like the idea (in theory) of not tying up the left lane, but as long as you aren't camping out in the left lane, and you make every effort get back out of the left lane as soon as possible (traffic permitting of course).