SLOW DOWN!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Best not do that on the road I live on. You might get tangled up with a tractor that is a whole lot bigger than your vehicle.
Same on the backroads here.

SarahFair

I live on a very wide, long, and straight residential street that runs parallel to a main road, people LOVE to whip it onto our street and see just how fast they can pick up speed then quickly jump back onto the main road.

I have wanted to ask if the city police would like to sit on my driveway in the evenings and earn some revenue

The SO and I almost got hit in the crosswalk at Home Depot the other day, we had plenty of time to cross, but a work van decided he needed to get to get from the garden center to the pro entrance as fast as his van could get him there.

People don't understand there are no take backs.

hopper

And the worst part of this? It was totally preventable! Some humans have a knack for bring trouble on themselves or on each other. :mad: That said, aggressive drivers here in Augusta during my morning commute (often in the dark) was a big factor in my retiring early. I got in a wreck (could have been worse) and I was driving safe and legally, but still got hit for my efforts. :( And they changed the speed limit on a busy road I often took from 55 to 65 making it even more dangerous. Nothing against speed per se, but when you have idiots jumping from lane-to-lane every five seconds, not signaling, cutting across three lanes of busy traffic and dodging cars to get to their exit, etc. etc. it's pure madness.

What really amazes me is people screaming through residential areas! :eek:
Kids and pets all over the street, old people using walkers, and jokers are coming through so fast you'd think the devil was chasing them. :devilish:

Even store parking lots (gee, what are the odds any pedestrians might be there?) are like a racetrack. I always try to find a parking spot where I can pull forward when I leave, rather than have to back out. Apparently nobody screaming through a parking lot expects anyone to be backing out slowly & carefully, and they get upset when they encounter this strange phenomenon. :unsure:

Not to rant, but the human race (or at least the segment I encounter on a daily basis) fills me with an ever-increasing disgust & disappointment that borders on unfathomable. :mad:
I just drove through Agusta on my way to NC. Had a driver speed up and try to cut me off from merging on the hwy. The car then jerked over in the next lane and got beside us. When we looked over it was a lady easily 75+yrs old shaking her fist and giving us the bird. Couldn't help but laugh my tail off.

Lilly001

Utterly amazing.
The outrage on this forum over dangerous driving.
The same forum that routinely mocks when a speed enforcement operation happens on a roadway near them.
Hypirocritsy at its finest.
Speed kills.
We have studied the issues and there is no doubt about it.
Yet we ban straws and allow cars that will go twice any speed limit.::ke:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Out here on my little two lane country road people drive like idiots. They don’t realize how many tractors and cotton pickers among other farm equipment comes through daily taking up the whole road. Even had a trooper come through at a 100+ with no sirens once, going to a fender bender just down the road. I’ll throw some volunteer fireman in the reckless driving category too.
I travel a good bit and lots of people are preoccupied while driving.
I don’t know how many of you know what a body looks like after a 65+ mph wreck, but it ain’t always pretty. Drive safe.

oldfella1962

They don,t understand that the vehicle is a 1ton projectile traveling at 60 mph......until its to late.
The basic laws of physics are not too complicated, and I am a slow learner but still know enough to not be a public safety hazard.

oldfella1962

Went to Florida a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t believe the way folks were driving in and around Atlanta. It’s nuts! Like a free for all!
Whenever possible, I drive around Atlanta or at least find a way to avoid the freeways. Too many lanes, too much merging, too much speeding.

oldfella1962

I just drove through Agusta on my way to NC. Had a driver speed up and try to cut me off from merging on the hwy. The car then jerked over in the next lane and got beside us. When we looked over it was a lady easily 75+yrs old shaking her fist and giving us the bird. Couldn't help but laugh my tail off.
That might have been my neighbor! :LOL: Slowing reflexes and diminishing patience are a dangerous combination.

sinclair1

Out here on my little two lane country road people drive like idiots. They don’t realize how many tractors and cotton pickers among other farm equipment comes through daily taking up the whole road. Even had a trooper come through at a 100+ with no sirens once, going to a fender bender just down the road. I’ll throw some volunteer fireman in the reckless driving category too.
I travel a good bit and lots of people are preoccupied while driving.
I don’t know how many of you know what a body looks like after a 65+ mph wreck, but it ain’t always pretty. Drive safe.
I drove Atlanta traffic my whole life until 2021. This two lane rural stuff scares me more. Sure Atlanta is chocked full of Dodge Chargers, but this country driving has big trucks and deer to cause them to swerve into your lane. I only have 12 miles each morning in the swamp road, but my knuckles are white the whole way.

I hit a deer running 65mph in Hancock county once in 12 years. 10 pointer as I caught it in the dash cam.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I drove Atlanta traffic my whole life until 2021. This two lane rural stuff scares me more. Sure Atlanta is chocked full of Dodge Chargers, but this country driving has big trucks and deer to cause them to swerve into your lane. I only have 12 miles each morning in the swamp road, but my knuckles are white the whole way.

I hit a deer running 65mph in Hancock county once in 12 years. 10 pointer as I caught it in the dash cam.
I’m the opposite, scared in Atlanta and comfortable in the country. I have hit 3 deer and the bride has hit one though. During planting time and harvest time it pays to ease around blind curves.

Whitefeather

Management Material
These people are not even aware that anyone else is on the roads nor do they care. Traffic laws and painted lines mean nothing to them

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I reckon it`s all in where you come from. Deer, hogs, coons, possums, even the occasional bear, doesn`t bother me when they crossing the road. Traffic I cant stand any more to the point I don`t even get on I 75. And I will never go up in the atlanta area again, ever.

sinclair1

I reckon it`s all in where you come from. Deer, hogs, coons, possums, even the occasional bear, doesn`t bother me when they crossing the road. Traffic I cant stand any more to the point I don`t even get on I 75. And I will never go up in the atlanta area again, ever.
It’s been two years since I drove to Atlanta. I haven’t been on a 8 lane highway since. I am in a transition to where I am afraid of both types of driving facepalm:

DannyW

They don,t understand that the vehicle is a 1ton projectile traveling at 60 mph......until its to late.
Just some perspective that some of us on here can relate to.

If a 2023 Corvette, which weighs 3,366 pounds dry, was traveling at 100 MPH and hit another car, it would deliver 1,525,607 ft/pounds of energy.

Most of the rifles we use for deer hunting deliver 2,000 - 3,000 ft/pounds of energy. So the impact energy would be like 600-700 rifles fired simultaneously.

ucfireman

Read an article that said corvette was 150+
I was up there Monday to get a patient.
Met with the local family there, and a few FF Paramedics that work up there.
They were telling me they had 8 fatalities over the weekend.
A wreck where 3 were ejected and died and this one that killed 5.
The Paramedic there was on scene and said he was told by the GSP investigator that they figure the corvette was well over 150, closer to 170 mph. Based on how high and far it flew through the air. I wonder if they could find the speedometer or computer to see for sure?
I saw the wreck site, and burned area. The corvette hit the trees on the right of the road about 150 feet from the impact site (not really that far) but it damaged the trees pretty well and they were decent sized pines.
There were 3 crosses and 2 old (2016) crosses there.
The stretch of road is Hwy 365, up beyond 985 and 384 I believe was the cross street. It is a pretty straight stretch but hilly with numerous cross streets with no traffic lights.

Absolutely no reason or way it would be safe. Not like an interstate with no cross traffic.

Of course its like everywhere else in the country, city folks going to the country and doing stupid crap because there's "no traffic out here".

Sad situation for the Deputy. I heard he was on shift. His wife was on the phone with her mother and the phone went dead. They had that app that lets you track family members. It alerted him to the accident. He called the dispatch center and was told there was a bad accident but didn't know if it was her.
Don't know if he went up there while the scene was active.
This was all from the Paramedic I spoke with.

People really need to slow down! Everywhere!

Even had a trooper come through at a 100+ with no sirens once,