Small Primer 44 Mag cases

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I found some 44 Mag cases with small primers. They are marked S S 44 Mag on the headstamp but I have not been able to find them online to identify the maker.
Has anyone ever seen them or know anything about the S S headstamp?
Small primwr on the right
20231119_161049.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I learn so much from reading in this forum. A quick search revealed Hornady and Seller Berlott both have done this but that’s another company all together.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I learn so much from reading in this forum. A quick search revealed Hornady and Seller Berlott both have done this but that’s another company all together.
Have you found that those two companies are making/using 44 Mag cases with small pistol primers?
I know many have started to make/use SPPs in their 45acp lately.

Reactions: Dub

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yes,
Have you found that those two companies are making/using 44 Mag cases with small pistol primers?
I know many have started to make/use SPPs in their 45acp lately.
They were both mentioned as companies others had found small primers in 44 Mag. Take it for what it is third hand info.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
So far *I have found out that HSM, PMC, and Starline may make/use SPP 44 MAG cases. I don't think that any of those would have the headstamp I posted above.

*= on online forums, but no pics shown.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
there was a time when .44RM needed LPM primers and then now a bunch of loads just list LP now. I wonder if the small ones are SR primers?
Great question.
I only have a small handful of these cases and will probably never have to get to them to reload but they have me wondering what primer is used in them. SPM, SR, or SRM?

frankwright

Along with the .45 ACP small primer cases aggravating me, I now have something new.
I was at the outdoor range shooting .45 and 9mm. It was a cool morning so I decided to pick up some free brass. What I can't use goes in the scrap bucket.

I got home and separated the brass. As I always do I ran a magnet in the brass to pull out any steel cases.
To my surprise I had a bunch of brass looking cases sticking to the magnet.
First I thought I had found a magnet that picked up brass and I would soon be a millionaire, but I knew that could not be.
It was brass looking, but steel cased Sig ammo.

First I had ever seen.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Along with the .45 ACP small primer cases aggravating me, I now have something new.
I was at the outdoor range shooting .45 and 9mm. It was a cool morning so I decided to pick up some free brass. What I can't use goes in the scrap bucket.

I got home and separated the brass. As I always do I ran a magnet in the brass to pull out any steel cases.
To my surprise I had a bunch of brass looking cases sticking to the magnet.
First I thought I had found a magnet that picked up brass and I would soon be a millionaire, but I knew that could not be.
It was brass looking, but steel cased Sig ammo.

First I had ever seen.
Do you remember what manufacturer they were?

rosewood

I would be perfectly content if all brass was small primers, but alas, I have tons of brass that aren't, so I am opposed to any transition at this point. Too bad it didn't happen 50 years before I started shooting.

Rosewood

Last edited: