SME

WishboneW

I am considering using a non class III sound mitigation device. Muzzle brake with a shroud to direct blast and sound down range.

Ruger compact stainless laminated 16 inch barrel in .308. I have previously had a muzzle brake on this gun but have long ago removed it.

What are the pros and cons regarding one of these devices?

ChidJ

I've used the Surefire Warden. It doesn't make it quieter. Really its mostly useful if you are on a firing line with other people and you want to be considerate and not beat them up with your blast concussion.

That or if you are shooting out/inside of an enclosed space, its less concussive.

It will significantly reduce the recoil mitigation of your brake, though (double negative?). I wouldn't quite call it a gimmick but its close. Just get a suppressor

menhadenman

I have a flaming pig on my AR pistol. Still obnoxious as any gun out there but puts the sound forward. Suppressor really is nice.

Reactions: Dub

WishboneW

I've used the Surefire Warden. It doesn't make it quieter. Really its mostly useful if you are on a firing line with other people and you want to be considerate and not beat them up with your blast concussion.

That or if you are shooting out/inside of an enclosed space, its less concussive.

It will significantly reduce the recoil mitigation of your brake, though (double negative?). I wouldn't quite call it a gimmick but its close. Just get a suppressor
Thanks. Recoil is not a consideration.

Suppressor cost too much, is too complicated to get, and takes too long to get it.

I will just stay with the walker’s earmuffs.

The gun does group a little better with the brake but still gets the job done without.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
What are the pros and cons regarding one of these devices?
I use a Ferfrans CQB Modular Compensator + Concussive Reduction Device For AR15 Style 5.56/.223. They make one for .30 Cal, I have not used it, but I can tell you about the pros and cons of the 223 CRD.

Advantages: If you want max barrel and short break this is the way I went. It is excellent when shooting prone in dusty environments. It does have some flash suppression for night firing. Short barrels are usually loud unless suppressed but I can tell the difference when installed - it is still loud. If you are shooting in confined areas it works. You can remove the shroud (quick twist) on the Ferfrans for cleaning or smaller profile / less weight. It is a very good break. I use it in three gun on a 16” without shroud, but one day I might throw the shroud on if I am shooting in a confined area. When the shroud is on a 16” 223 it is quieter to the shooter. 37FD0ACD-568F-4355-A9C4-8EA03210BF02.jpeg5EDC116F-397A-4E2B-A06E-0CE3970E11B3.jpeg
Disadvantages: it is still loud on a SBR. It is heavy on the front end. It cost a lot of money… not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

I am glad I had it on my AR pistol… to bad I lost it in a tragic boating accident

Last edited:

WishboneW

Those of you who have used a SME, what impact if any, does it have on accuracy?

The muzzle brake impacts accuracy to the positive on my deer rifle but seemingly doubles the noise.

Noise wise it is tolerable in a hunting situation without the break, not so with it.

Muzzle flash is immaterial to me. I do not shoot after or before legal hunting hours.

I am considering a Whitt machine works product. 8.9 oz and 4” on the end of the barrel. $175.

I will be hunting on the ground or in a tree stand, very little from confined spaces

transfixer

My son bought the Witt machine sme, the lightweight one , it does what it says, it directs the noise and blast out in front of you, he has his on a 7.5in .300bo AR pistol, so the blast would be significant if not for the sme, its not a supressor, but it will keep the majority of the noise and concussion away from your face and ears

FlipKing

I was overwhelmed buying a supressor. Then I did it and I don't shoot without it. It's well worth the time and effort. I plan on getting several more.