Snack stick dilemma

slow motion

Last season I took a deer and ran short of time to finish processing. Deboned and froze remainder. Thawed some in a cooler and chuncked it up to grind. Had some snack sticks made last year in Illinois and wanted to make some myself. @bfriendly mentioned the Cabelas prepackaged seasoning and casings. Believe he said @antharper told him so thanks to you both for that. Problem is the stuffing tube on my grinder is too large in diameter. Any advice? May just grind into breakfast sausage. I've got some leggs seasoning for that. Had actually planned on half each way. Thanks.

specialk

you can prolly order the proper tube online or mabe pick it up at bass pro or cabelas

slow motion

Another problem. Gotta grind today or tomorrow. Aged the meat initially a week in a cooler. Don't want to lose it. I'll stop by Academy later and see what's in stock. Looked online and saw this deal. Out of stock near me and online but might be in your local store. Not for heavy use but if you get one deer through it it's a deal.

Screenshot_20230823-080943_Chrome.jpg

slow motion

Cool, glad it is going to work out.
I have everything I need to make some Summer Sausage.

Never tried it before so I am nervous about it.
I'm no help as I've never made it either but worst case the flavor isn quite what you wanted. Then just add some good spicy mustard to the sliced finish product. Keep us informed on how it goes.

slow motion

Once again Bezos has let me down. We've gone from delivery today between 5 and 10 pm to estimated tomorrow 5-10 pm. facepalm:

slow motion

Ground it all twice. Made breakfast sausage with half. The other half is waiting on the stuffing tube to arrive. 10 lb of each.

slow motion

Vacation sealed the sausage this morning. Seasoned the snack stick mix. Smells good. Still waiting on the tube.

20230824_080002.jpg

slow motion

Finally got em stuffed and slow cooked last night. Did the oven route this try. First batch while they were cooling.
20230824_190122.jpg
Second batch in the oven.
20230824_210359.jpg
Been gnawing on em today. Not pretty but tasty. The red casings are probably more aesthetically pleasing but clear is what came in the pack. Got a few air bubbles in there too. Even had a few with mustard for lunch.
20230825_122327.jpg
Got a bunch vac sealed for the freezer.

20230825_120754.jpg

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Get a sausage pick and poke a few small holes in the casings after stuffing.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Dang Kansas. You know some stuff brother.
Just made a little sausage in my day.
When you make sausage, try to hang it vertically when cooking.
It will settle in the casing better and the small holes you pick in it will allow air and some grease to escape and keep the casing from drying too quick.

slow motion

Just made a little sausage in my day.
When you make sausage, try to hang it vertically when cooking.
It will settle in the casing better and the small holes you pick in it will allow air and some grease to escape and keep the casing from drying too quick.
Thanks. Wanna smoke it next time but just didn't have time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Finally got em stuffed and slow cooked last night. Did the oven route this try. First batch while they were cooling.
View attachment 1250035
Second batch in the oven.
View attachment 1250034
Been gnawing on em today. Not pretty but tasty. The red casings are probably more aesthetically pleasing but clear is what came in the pack. Got a few air bubbles in there too. Even had a few with mustard for lunch.
View attachment 1250032
Got a bunch vac sealed for the freezer.

View attachment 1250033
That looks amazing! How’d the spices turn out? I’ve still been trying to figure out how to obtain proper fat to make sausage……may just get a pork butt this year and try that.

slow motion

Another tip if smoking.
Don't go with a heavy smoke. It will actually act to seal the casings back up.
Light to medium smoke is my choice.
With pork I'm partial to Hickory. Do you recommend a different wood?

slow motion

That looks amazing! How’d the spices turn out? I’ve still been trying to figure out how to obtain proper fat to make sausage……may just get a pork butt this year and try that.
Spice is good. Probably add a good dose of fine ground cayenne pepper next time. I'm fond of spicy. I just cut up a pork shoulder and add 20% roughly for the fat. Still won't be like pork sausage. You need to add a little oil in the pan for pan frying. Pork butt should be the same.