• 2012-09-11_16-45-12_802.jpg
    2012-09-11_16-45-12_802.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 592

gtparts

Appears to be a hognose.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, hognose, AKA "spreading adder." They're harmless little fellers, eat mostly toad frogs. And getting rare. I haven't seen one around here in about thirty years.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
They were common when I was growin` up down here, but got kinda scarce. But for the last couple of years, I`ve had a good crop of both that color and the jet black ones here around the house. They`ve put a hurtin` on my toad frogs, which is why they hang around.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
They were common when I was growin` up down here, but got kinda scarce. But for the last couple of years, I`ve had a good crop of both that color and the jet black ones here around the house. They`ve put a hurtin` on my toad frogs, which is why they hang around.

I see them every year around my hunting camp in Screven C.

The only rear fanged snake in N. America.

Pretty much impossible to make one bite you, and I never can resist making one of them do their entire "show".

Puff up like a cobra and hiss, then flip over and flop around, cough up a couple of recently devoured toads, then lay motionless on its back, mouth agape, tongue rolled out, playing the best game of possum in the animal kingdom!!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Pretty much impossible to make one bite you, and I never can resist making one of them do their entire "show".

Puff up like a cobra and hiss, then flip over and flop around, cough up a couple of recently devoured toads, then lay motionless on its back, mouth agape, tongue rolled out, playing the best game of possum in the animal kingdom!!

Yea, I love to watch em do their act. :D

Sounds kind cruel, but about 15 years ago, there was a big distinctive colored toad that hung around the back door. I called him Chester. I went out one mornin` and a big black spreadin` adder had Chester just about swallered, just his head and one front leg was all that still visible. Weren`t nothin` to do but set there and watch the proceedins`.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
LOL!

I'm actually kind of glad that Hognose snakes don't prefer the piedmont habitat that I live in.

I like my toads. Bug killing machines! Only thing is, I have to sweep their poo off the porches daily.:D

hiawassee1

Berryhill looks like your son got the first look at him, nice avatar.

When my oldest was his age his hair would always stand up like that

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

Actually there are more in our area. The garter and the southeastern crowned snake are rear fanged.

Glad to see a live hognose in that pic. Very cool snakes:cheers:

arrendale8105

Definitely fun snakes to watch. I was cleaning up under my shelter last sunday and came across the biggest one I've ever seen and man did he put on a show! Didn't even attemp to bite me when I picked him up and took him over to the cotton field and turned him loose.