Snake ID

NWS

Saw this little fellow in the yard today. He was about 15 to 16 inches long. He’s a cute little fellow. Any thoughts on the ID? sorry about the crooked photo

Attachments

• F3707360-5A02-4BB2-AD5A-CCD9DC802216.jpeg
    F3707360-5A02-4BB2-AD5A-CCD9DC802216.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 132

NWS

Looks like I found out the answer to my question. It’s a ringneck snake I believe

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Yes its a ringneck.

bullgator

That’s a big ring neck. I’ve never seen one 15-16”.

NWS

As soon as I snapped the pic he or she took off. I estimate about 15” long and with a slender looking body to match.

Jethro Bodean

They don't get much bigger than that. Very docile snakes. I have never had one strike me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That’s a big ring neck. I’ve never seen one 15-16”.
They can get up bigger than that. Here's one that came cruising through my campsite last year. It was probably 18"-20" and nearly pinky diameter:

snake.jpg

zedex

Gator Bait
Ringnecks mellow out real easy and are very hearty eaters. Keeping up with their high metabolism is a challenge.
That specimen appears healthy. He has a food source right close by

NWS

Ringnecks mellow out real easy and are very hearty eaters. Keeping up with their high metabolism is a challenge.
That specimen appears healthy. He has a food source right close by
He has a perfect place where nobody will really bother them. He’s in a shrub thicket by the house is real thick creeping juniper. Only problem for him is that our resident king snake lives in the yard although I haven’t seen it in a couple years

zedex

Gator Bait
He has a perfect place where nobody will really bother them. He’s in a shrub thicket by the house is real thick creeping juniper. Only problem for him is that our resident king snake lives in the yard although I haven’t seen it in a couple years
If you used to see the king snake frequently but haven't seen it lately, it may have moved on