Solo Cooking Lately

ryork

Been a batchelor for the last few days, wife and daughter are still in TN with our son getting settled in the new digs. Thawed a pack of speckled trout from our recent FL trip and had those two nights. That first one was definitely up there in my favorite dishes in some time. Pan seared the fish, served with some cheese grits, pan roasted okra, seared Andouille and a Crystal (as in the hot sauce) buerre blanc pan sauce. While plain ole fried will always be my favorite okra technique, this is right up there. Get some oil scorching hot in a cast iron pan, sear them on the flat side, flip and coat with some creole seasoning and squeeze some lemon juice in it. That hard sear is what makes it.

The second trout dish, again seared, is with some eggplant dish I stole the idea from some restaurant in Charleston years ago. Basically, carrot, celery, garlic, shallot, eggplant and country ham all smothered down. That thick base is a romesco sauce, roasted an heirloom tomato, banana pepper and onion in the oven. Put them in a blender with raw peanuts, garlic, wheat bread cubes, olive oil, a hint of vinegar and a hydrated guajillo pepper.

And lastly, ribs, cream corn and pole beans with roasted heirloom tomato and roasted sesame and other seeds. As simple as it was, those beans were the star! Just boiled in chicken stock with salt. That tomato was roasted in the oven for 2 hrs at 180 degrees with salt and olive oil. But all together it was incredible.

7-16 (1).jpg7-16 (2).jpg7-16 (3).jpg7-16 (4).jpg7-16 (5).jpg7-16 (6).jpg7-16 (7).jpg7-16 (8).jpg7-16 (9).jpg7-16 (10).jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Been a batchelor for the last few days, wife and daughter are still in TN with our son getting settled in the new digs. Thawed a pack of speckled trout from our recent FL trip and had those two nights. That first one was definitely up there in my favorite dishes in some time. Pan seared the fish, served with some cheese grits, pan roasted okra, seared Andouille and a Crystal (as in the hot sauce) buerre blanc pan sauce. While plain ole fried will always be my favorite okra technique, this is right up there. Get some oil scorching hot in a cast iron pan, sear them on the flat side, flip and coat with some creole seasoning and squeeze some lemon juice in it. That hard sear is what makes it.

The second trout dish, again seared, is with some eggplant dish I stole the idea from some restaurant in Charleston years ago. Basically, carrot, celery, garlic, shallot, eggplant and country ham all smothered down. That thick base is a romesco sauce, roasted an heirloom tomato, banana pepper and onion in the oven. Put them in a blender with raw peanuts, garlic, wheat bread cubes, olive oil, a hint of vinegar and a hydrated guajillo pepper.

And lastly, ribs, cream corn and pole beans with roasted heirloom tomato and roasted sesame and other seeds. As simple as it was, those beans were the star! Just boiled in chicken stock with salt. That tomato was roasted in the oven for 2 hrs at 180 degrees with salt and olive oil. But all together it was incredible.

View attachment 1027589View attachment 1027590View attachment 1027591View attachment 1027592View attachment 1027593View attachment 1027594View attachment 1027595View attachment 1027596View attachment 1027597View attachment 1027598
Fantastic eats!!!!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.

View attachment 1027589View attachment 1027590View attachment 1027591View attachment 1027592View attachment 1027593View attachment 1027594View attachment 1027595View attachment 1027596View attachment 1027597View attachment 1027598
Looks amazing man! Tell us about the corn.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you're having to tough it out....:bounce:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You may of been alone... but you didn’t starve !

ryork

Looks amazing man! Tell us about the corn.

Sweat some shallot or onion with some garlic in a little oil, add a little thyme or parsley. Then add the fresh scraped off the eat corn and let that cook together for a couple minutes. Then add a little chicken stock and heavy cream salt and pepper and let it simmer until as thick as you want it.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Dangit, @ryork, you should'a said something. I would've come over and let you feed me while the family was away!