South Dakota

ddavis1120

Just back from South Dakota. As usual, I had a blast and the bird hunting and scenery were phenomenal. A front came through so it went from cold to colder but the hunting only got better.

Attachments

• IMG_2351 (3).jpg
    IMG_2351 (3).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2355 (3).jpg
    IMG_2355 (3).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2356 (3).jpg
    IMG_2356 (3).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Fishin & Hunting

Will be out there hunting in about 9 days. Hope the weather holds.

ddavis1120

Already booked my flight and have been chatting it up with the rest of my group. The first weekend in December is right around the corner; Rooster!!!

Gator89

I will be there as well on opening day but I am driving and taking my dog. Where in SD you hunting Gator.

Stay in Pierre, hunt northeast of there, small town of Harrold. This is my first time flying, but it takes too much time to drive from FL. I will fly to Minneapolis and meet up with a friend from Wisconsin and we will drive from there.

I am fortunate to have a couple of farm families that let me hunt with them. This will be my tenth season going.

Stonewall 2

I will be in Winner I have also been going for quite awhile with the same guy. I think this is my twelth time since 2000. Good luck to you!

Gator89

GAHUNTER60

We've got a group of 10 going to Chamberlain to hunt wild birds on Nov. 23, 24 & 25. We originally were talking about driving, but it now appears we are all going to fly. Best flight deals from Atlanta are to Omaha, which is four hours from Chamberlain via rental car.

We will be staying at the AmercInn in Chamberlain. We're not going to one of the pheasant lodges, but instead have booked an individual guide who leases ground from a state designated peasant farmer.

What kind of weather should we face around Thanksgiving? How about getting out birds back in our flight? Any info on what to expect will be welcome.

Gator89

By Thanksgiving you could see temps in the low 20's upper teens in the mornings, but snow is not likely to be heavy. SoDak is hard to plan for weather wise. Be prepared to dress in layers.

i see folks checking coolers with dry ice as baggage to get birds home.

Fishin & Hunting

Yes that is a Target add.

GAHUNTER60

Anybody know How many boxes of shells i can take in my checked luggage? (I hate to buy shells out there when I have ten boxes of, lead, high brass #4s that I have no use for here.)

Gator89

Anybody know How many boxes of shells i can take in my checked luggage? (I hate to buy shells out there when I have ten boxes of, lead, high brass #4s that I have no use for here.)

Weight on your bags will be the big issue. A bag can only weigh 50 pounds. How many bags do you want to take @ $30 each?

If you do happen to hunt any public land, steel shot is required, this includes in publicly accessed privately owned land.

I would buy ammo when I got there.

ddavis1120

[QUOTE="GAHUNTER60, post: 11829793, member: 82530"
What kind of weather should we face around Thanksgiving? How about getting out birds back in our flight? Any info on what to expect will be welcome.[/QUOTE]

I usually go the week after Thanksgiving. The weather has been all over the place. Everything from a polar express that is really tuff to hunt in to two years ago having short sleeves. Just pay attention to the ten day forecast before you go out and layer up. Good comfortable boots are a must and a wind proof shell can be important. Colder weather actually helps the hunting.

If you've never been; you'll enjoy it. I grew up quail hunting (wild birds) and it is the closest thing to my recollections of hunting almost a half century ago. If I could have my Dad back for one afternoon, I would take him to South Dakota to pheasant hunt.

We freeze the birds and carry them on in little bag coolers. TSA comments on how well we hit some of the birds going through the X-ray machine but that's the only grieve we get as the area loves hunters.

We buy shells when we get there. Just about every store has shells and there are plenty of stores in the Chamberlain and Ocacoma area. ROOSTER!

GAHUNTER60

Thank you very much for that info. Never crossed my mind to use a soft-sided cooler as carry-on luggage to bring back our birds.

The plan right now is to stop at the Mitchell Cabelas to stick up on ammo, blaze hats, etc.

GAHUNTER60

Last year, that Cabelas had Herters Pheasant Loads for $7.99 per box, $8.99 for 3 inch. That's a pretty good deal.

skeeter24

We've got a group of 10 going to Chamberlain to hunt wild birds on Nov. 23, 24 & 25. We originally were talking about driving, but it now appears we are all going to fly. Best flight deals from Atlanta are to Omaha, which is four hours from Chamberlain via rental car.

We will be staying at the AmercInn in Chamberlain. We're not going to one of the pheasant lodges, but instead have booked an individual guide who leases ground from a state designated peasant farmer.

We have been going to Chamberlin for years and hunting with a local as well. I enjoyed the fancy lodges but a local guy is the way to go. I like to have my limit by lunch (when we can hunt before noon that is) and then go fishing on the Missouri.

I always take the Friday evening direct flight from Atlanta to Sioux Falls.