SP Core-lokt vs PSP Core-lokt

habersham hammer

I have always primarily shot 130 grain bullets in my 270 but I found a few boxes at a good price of the 150 grain core-lokt SP bullets instead of the pointed soft point bullets. Have any of you used these type of bullets and what have been your results? I have read where they are for more bigger and tougher game than whitetails so I was checking before I use them.

snuffy

I use the 180 grain round nose Core-Lokt in my 30-06.
Never had a problem and have killed truck loads of deer with them.

My sons father in law uses the 150 Core Lokt in his 270. He never has a problem.

transfixer

I used to use the 180gr core lokt's in my 06, never an issue, all my shots were 100yds or under , they always mushroomed out great, probably better than most any other bullet, due to all that exposed lead

Buford_Dawg

All I have ever used in 45+ years of hunting, either works well, I prefer the PSP, but have killed many a deer with the Round nose SP. 180 grain in 30-06, 130 grain in 270, 150 grain in 308 and 140 grain in 7mm08

Reactions: Dub

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's another vote in favor of round nose soft points...

In .308 or .30'06, the 180s have never failed me.

Breaks both shoulders and keeps going....

Shot one straight on in the neck once, and recovered a perfect mushroom under the hide of his rump...

I do not recall ever having to look for a deer shot with one, and there have been many.

They may be "old" but I don't think technology has come up with anything better.

My Dad preferred the 150s in his .270.

I just bought and rigged up a Henry Single Shot .308 SPECIFICALLY for the Core Lokt 180 RNSP...

Guess you could call me a believer.

jbarron

BANNED
NormaShooting.com has 270 Win 130 gr Soft Point for 32.99 plus shipping.

They shoot great in my 270.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I liked them (SP), they expend all their energy inside the deer, always lodged on the opposite side, perfect mushroom every time. All shots were 100 yards or less, 180 grain 30.06.

Couldn't find them any more so I started using PSP

earlthegoat2

Well, a 150 gr 270 bullet is more or less heavy for caliber.

Same with the 180 gr 30-06 bullets others are referring to.

Heavy for caliber bullets have higher sectional density. Sectional density is an often over rated characteristic but it is still relevant for cup and core bullets like the CoreLokt.

What I am trying to say is, the round nose matters little once the bullet hits the target. The heavier bullet will plow through and may just pulverize that bone instead of stopping dead and will resist deflection better.

The round nose can matter when things like ballistic coefficient come into play. This won’t matter if you are shooting at reletively short ranges.

When I used 180 gr 30-06 RN bullets I figured my max range was 200 yds and it did great. If I wanted longer range I would have gone to 150 or 165.

I generally use the heaviest conventional bullets in all my hunting rifles. So 170 gr 30-30, 180 gr 30-06, 300gr 450 BM, etc.

Dub

My favorites were always: 140gr .270 , 150gr .308 and 160gr 7mmMag.

Now….still will have reliable hunting ammo in those but want to give the monolithics a try…lighter, faster, awesomer if I can get them as accurate. :)

Zero complaints from me with the jacketed lead greatness…..just feel like playing around and seeing what can be done. Who knows, may strike upon solid copper loads that gives excellent terminals and don’t beat up my smoked shoulder.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
PSP 150 gr. 30-06...is my go-to for everything that needs shooting with a 30-06.

bilgerat

Senior
deadliest mushroom in the woods
Ive used them in My 30-06 for 30+ years and never had one run more than 20 yards., most drop in their tracks
Ive Shot them in my marlin lever guns too and always had good results

bighonkinjeep

Just dont expect anywhere near the same point of impact as your rifles current zero. Also check your rifles accuracy with them.
I have a .270 that will put federal power shok 130s touching into one hole at 100 yards all day long, but basically sprays 150s in any brand like a shotgun pattern.