Sprewell bluff wma

SCL

Anyone ever hunt Sprewell Bluff WMA, looks like it would be a gamble based on just the terrain.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Anyone ever hunt Sprewell Bluff WMA, looks like it would be a gamble based on just the terrain.
Used to bow hunt it quite often 10-12 years ago. Managed to kill some good deer off it. Haven’t hunted it since it got clearcut. They destroyed it

CaptKeith

It can be very rough! But get back in along the river and there’s some good ones.

Jim Boyd

Wanted to back in the day!

IIRC it was bow only way back when?

Great location.

Jim Boyd

The comments on clear cuts tickle me. I think there are a lot of folks that see a clear cut and think its ruined. Visually appealing maybe not, prime habitat, you better believe it. Let em keep thinking that.....

Particularly 2 years out

Whitefeather

Management Material
It used to be strictly archery only back in the day before it got timbered. Whole lotta mature white oaks and red oaks got cut.

Long Cut

The comments on clear cuts tickle me. I think there are a lot of folks that see a clear cut and think its ruined. Visually appealing maybe not, prime habitat, you better believe it. Let em keep thinking that.....

What happens when you clear cut half a property, then open up a general public rifle season from October-January for multiple years.

That’s what I’m getting at. We all know clear cuts are great hunting.

I’m specifically referring to the State allowing liberal rifle seasons to over harvest the deer population on Sprewell Bluff WMA.

dang

DANG !!!
No deer, lots of hunters. Good luck.
There are much better properties in that area

NickDeer

I recommend you get out and go scout
Fortunately, I’ve been to both Joe Kurz and Big Lazer and have scouted and hunted the snot out of both. Just figured maybe you knew of a property that I didn’t. Sure do appreciate it though buddy

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I haven’t yet but have spent a ton of time there. I enjoy the scenery there.

Professor

There are some mature bucks in there but it is a really tough place to hunt. Big ridges and swirling winds make it hard to approach an area without alerting them.

Last edited: