Springfield Waypoint unboxing and first shots

FlipKing

Finally bit the bullet and found a Waypoint in .308 and ordered it. I decided to top it with a VX5hd 3x15x44. My intent was to use one piece mounts instead of the rail but the mediums wouldn't clear the bolt.

The rifle comes in a nice soft case that has several pockets and even an additional smaller case for the bolt. Very happy with that considering the cost and other rifles near this level just come in boxes.

Gun is very light. 8lbs 6oz with scope and empty mag. Feels lighter honestly. 20" barrel.

Rifle shot great. I need to lighten the trigger a bit and I need the ATF to give me my dang supressor, but I'm very happy with it. Rifle has a 0.75 guarantee and it meets it. It loved 168 smks and 180 trophy bonded tip. It did okay with 178 eldx. It did not like 150/165 superformance at all.20220928_163639.jpg20220928_163840.jpg20220928_163928.jpg20220928_175746.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2022-09-28 17_59_38.209615.pngBallistic-X-Export-2022-09-28 18_34_33.452997.pngBallistic-X-Export-2022-09-28 19_08_47.679070.pngBallistic-X-Export-2022-09-28 19_11_11.472328.png

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There you go…..

FlipKing

FlipKing,

What ring and height did you choose since you stuck with Springfield pic rail?

I had a pack of Leupold precision mediums with me, so thats what went on. The mediums I tried without the rail were the one piece back country. Unfortunately I couldn't put the bolt back in since it barely hit the eye piece.

Jester896

Senior Clown
some of the scopes out there have large ocular bells....shouldn't be hard to get the center of the tube height to the bore center to figure drops in your calculator.

FlipKing

One other update I did. The rifle comes with a plastic AICS 5rd mag. I ordered a Hawkins Precision mag. Made of Aluminum, holds 4rds but is half the size. Also provides 0.02 of space for reloads.
20220929_185208.jpg

Darkhorse

Very interesting. I've been looking at the lite weight model myself.

Reactions: Dub

FlipKing

Very interesting. I've been looking at the lite weight model myself.

It's not ultralight but it's bot bad either. If you had one piece rings and took off the muzzle brake you'd probably be under 8lbs. Or went with a lighter scope, but the VX5 is already fairly light at 20oz.

HughW2

I have been thinking about a Waypoint as well and I would out fit mine similarly. Your scope is excellent. I keep looking at the rings and pic rail. I like my scope to ride lower to barrel. Really appreciate your heads up on bolt throw and clearance to the scope ocular. Your rings don’t look too high but between the rings and that pic rail the scope sits high. Love the Hawkins Mag.

FlipKing

Yeah you might could go with pic rail and low rings or go with high back country mounts. I think both would lower the scope some. The stock has such a high cheek rise that you still have a solid cheek weld with it. Here's the mag installed.

received_1053319502015924.jpeg

Dub

I think you'll really enjoy that rifle.

Looking forward to seeing your ongoing experiences with it.

I'm running that same scope on new rifle for this year. Hopeful it will do well for me.

FlipKing

I think you'll really enjoy that rifle.

Looking forward to seeing your ongoing experiences with it.

I'm running that same scope on new rifle for this year. Hopeful it will do well for me.

I have one on my 6.5 and my very frugal father in law converted and bought one for his Hells Canyon this year. They are excellent. I really don't feel like the VX6 is worth the extra amount.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you could just about buy an NSX for that kinda money a VX6HD is or an SHVs for the price of the VX5HD

i have a couple of rifles with TPS extra low rings and a 20MOA base with a 56mm Objective bell...I did have to notch the bottom of the Butler Creek cap so it didn't touch the barrel on my hunting rig

FlipKing

you could just about buy an NSX for that kinda money a VX6HD is or an SHVs for the price of the VX5HD

i have a couple of rifles with TPS extra low rings and a 20MOA base with a 56mm Objective bell...I did have to notch the bottom of the Butler Creek cap so it didn't touch the barrel on my hunting rig

I put a few NF in my cart but most of the reticle were busier than I wanted and the NF weighed about 10oz more than the VX5

Jester896

Senior Clown
The SHV I have has the discontinued IHR reticle...not busy. If I were trekking mountains I might worry about 10 oz. A 1/4 mile trek to a stand or better yet someone drop me closer...I'm not worried.

The more you look through a moa or mil reticle the less you see of it ;)

Darkhorse

The thing I'm missing is the load data written or printed on your targets. This is how I do mine.
I take the basic target and scan it in. Now I can work with it in Word, Publisher or one of my many other software programs I've got.
So I transfer it into....lets say Word...There I do any modifications I want to do. And add text blocks while I'm at it.
Then go to the range and shoot a group. Then I study the target and try and figure out what's going on with it, then add applicable data by hand. When I get home I print a copy first thing. Then I transfer it to a photo program as a .jpg, then fill the penciled in text block, then create new text blocks and populate them with any new data from the days shooting.
I continue until I'm satisfied with my load, then put it in a computer file and a hardcopy file.
These targets will tell a story or show a reaction to an adustment, so in the future I can look at them and see how I arrived at my conclusions.
150-BT-720x960.jpg