Springtime Surf Fishing

carolinacrazy25

Moving down to Georgia in March. Was down in October during the bull red run and caught a few from the surf. Anything worth catching from the sand in March and April?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Moving down to Georgia in March. Was down in October during the bull red run and caught a few from the surf. Anything worth catching from the sand in March and April?
Same things that "might" bite the other 10 months... just set there and enjoy the waiting...

Redbeardless

Work the beaches with your typical trout lures, paddle tails, shad tails, jerk baits, spoons, etc. Also try live bait, especially finger mullet and small croakers. You may get lucky and limit out on speckled trout. Redfish don't hesitate to take the same lures and bait, as well. Pay special attention to rips where there are openings in the sandbars. They will stage in these areas feeding on bait that is washing out. Makes for a nice early morning walk, working the surf with an artificial.

carolinacrazy25

Yeah I usually work the north side of Jekyll first thing in the morning with different types of artificials and then will move to live bait/cut bait along the cuts and sandbars

Fatback1

Ok, March is a transition month on the GA coast. Water temps have bottomed out in February and stabilized. Typically, the water temps will slowly start to rise first of March and began to speed up as the month progresses. This gets the Whiting interested in that sweet spring loving. The Whiting stage up in the sounds and deeper rivers/creeks and when the water temps reach the mid sixties its surf time!
This spring fling migration to the surf is led by the bigger bull Whiting. Late March into April is your best time to catch the bigger Whiting in good numbers. The smaller/younger fish follow the big ones.
Whiting is the species to target in March surf fishing the GA coast.

Redbeardless

I can't say from personal experience, but I have read a lot about Gould's Inlet on St. Simons being a great place to fish for trout and reds. Do a search on Gould's Inlet on this forum and you will see some pretty good info.

Foster

I can't say from personal experience, but I have read a lot about Gould's Inlet on St. Simons being a great place to fish for trout and reds. Do a search on Gould's Inlet on this forum and you will see some pretty good info.
Gould's Inlet changes every year depending on storms and I would say hasn't been great in a long time. If you are on St Simons or Jekyll hit up the bait store, pick up a tide chart, and let them point you where you need to be.