St. Marks with 1eyefishing

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Met member 1eyefishing in St. Marks for a few days fishing on his boat.
Great time with a great person.
Post cold front conditions gave us clear blue skies, cold mornings and warm afternoons.
Super low tides made launching a challenge for everybody Saturday morning.
As it was my first time to the area, I relied on his knowledge and expertise and he didn't disappoint.
We caught trout from 14 to 24 inches and redfish from 16 to 28 1/2 inches.
Top it off with several black drum and the trip was a success.
A few pics for good measures:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 617
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 614
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 613

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Kansas, that was a great time.
Nice little break from winter and now we are back home in the cold.
As usual, the fish were not jumping in the boat exactly, but the required amount of leg work produced a few nice catches. I had been interested in catching all the fish stacked up in the backs of the creeks and rivers, but apparently the previous warm spell scattered the fish a little bit before we got there. The usual haunts were little bit unoccupied, but the key to victory was keeping at it.
And as usual, there is always someone on the boat who needs to catch bigger fish and more fish than me. There's one in every crowd! Even when there's not a crowd! Glad it was your turn, I hate to disappoint...�� Next time, maybe I'll park the boat a little bit further from the fish. I was casting much further than you, and you were catching all the good fish right under the boat!
Yes the winter time full moon low tide was impressive. Here's a panorama of the shoreline at the Lighthouse with Long Bar completely exposed to the right side of the picture. Normally, I can put the nose of my boat right into that green grass in the foreground. Impossible to launch a boat at the light house that morning and the ramp at the Fish Camp was blocked by a boat similar to mine sitting in the mud struggling to float its way to open water. We found out that the city ramp is serviceable at any tide.
You and your wife are great sports during the slow periods of no fish and certainly know the drill when the fish are biting. Thanks for cleaning the fish! Fresh trout for dinner tonight! Woohoo!
PS- I like your idea of getting a gang of members and a gang of boats together down there sometime. I hope any who are interested will chime in!

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (7).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (7).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_20180305_110823.jpg
    IMG_20180305_110823.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 584

doomtrpr_z71

Looks like an awesome time, I'm definitely interested in a get together in St Mark's. I normally split time between there and steinhatchee. Definitely never seen the long bar like that before.

notnksnemor

Next time, maybe I'll park the boat a little bit further from the fish. I was casting much further than you, and you were catching all the good fish right under the boat!

That's one of the good things about being new to an area.
All the water looks good.
Looked fishy under the boat, so I fished under the boat.
:rofl:

1eyefishing

z71, I have reservations in April and May but they are fast closing out availability on their busiest two months. They said June would be wide open. If we want to plan to get together that would be a good time. It will surely be hot by June but the fishing was good last year in June. July and August would probably be hotter than I would like to bear.
(Shell Island Fish Camp I'm talking about. Not sure if there's any other place around there to stay except for that little bed and breakfast.)
As luck would have it, I've never fished Steinhatchee and would love to be on the water there sometime with somebody with a little bit of local knowledge there. Much more to do in Steinhatchee also. At Shell Island, it's either eat, sleep, or fish!
I'm all in for making new fishing buddies on the Forum!:D

1eyefishing

!!!

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (8).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (8).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 532

doomtrpr_z71

I'm going to be in steinhatchee April 7th, otherwise I'm always needing an excuse to fish St Mark's or steinhatchee. Shell island is nice for the money, the boat ramp can be tricky, but otherwise it's good. My fishing partner is actually kin to some of the ownership. Anytime you want to try steinhatchee let me know, it's easier to learn since it doesn't have as many rocks as St Mark's.

MudDucker

Staff member
Sweet trip! Might have to hit the Mark this weekend. Looks to be good weather, but this changing weather has got to have the fish screwed up. Tight lines!

bany

Nice report guys! Think I’ll have trout for breakfast thanks to your dinner plate 1eye!
I hope it won’t be long I can escape the day to day race and join y’all. Happy fishing!

1eyefishing

Nice report guys! Think I’ll have trout for breakfast thanks to your dinner plate 1eye!
I hope it won’t be long I can escape the day to day race and join y’all. Happy fishing!

Looking forward to fishing with you again!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
That looks like one that was marinaded...

If I'm in the boat we're going to need a LOT MORE beer than what you got in that cooler.. :biggrin2:

Good fishing boys!

notnksnemor

If I'm in the boat we're going to need a LOT MORE beer than what you got in that cooler.. :biggrin2:

Good fishing boys!

Your reputation precedes you!

Hope we can all get together sometime.

I think we would leave a mark wherever we go.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Your reputation precedes you!

Hope we can all get together sometime.

I think we would leave a mark wherever we go.

Yes sir! We're going down in May and you're welcome to tag along. :cheers::cheers:

Hey 1eyefishing, just got off the phone with Bucky and got you're reservation changed to the 24th. He looked in the book and that was when I had my reservation. I told you the wrong dates to begin with. I've got a cabin and they only had one "non smoking" room left and you got it! We'll leave out on the 27th.

notnksnemor

Yes sir! We're going down in May and you're welcome to tag along. :cheers::cheers:

Hey 1eyefishing, just got off the phone with Bucky and got you're reservation changed to the 24th. He looked in the book and that was when I had my reservation. I told you the wrong dates to begin with. I've got a cabin and they only had one "non smoking" room left and you got it! We'll leave out on the 27th.

Hoping to get 2 weeks in Mexico Beach in May but all options are open.

Latest posts