Stock work

Larry Rooks

CK'n
Now I know who to send my stocks to for checkering etc.
Mighty fine work. I do most anything else but checkering is something I have never done, got a few checkering tools
but nothing fancy, and have not done real well with my few
experiments either:eek:

CK'n

To be honest,

I think every checkering set should come with a therapist. If you use it much, you will need them!

There are a few tricks like how to hold the tools straight and parallel to the surface right where you are working. That is the biggest trick. It seems to be left out of a lot of books. You also need a checkering tool that has an extra long (1"+) cutting edge. It will straighten out a lot of mistakes. I assume you have a checkering cradle? Light is the next most important thing. If you do not have it placed correctly, the shadows will play tricks on you, especially on curved surfaces. You also need a lot so you can see the difference in the cut you are making and a short piece of dark grain...easy to be fooled.

In a few weeks, I will have my website up: www.Riflerestorer.com where I will start adding articles on doing many projects the hobbyist gunsmith can do. Refinishing stocks, cold and slow bluing, rust removal, checkering + some wood working tips and tricks, even some elementary ballistics. Be patient with me, I have to write it and get work out the shop's door. It will be showing up though.

Take care,
Chris

duckbill

In a few weeks, I will have my website up: www.Riflerestorer.com where I will start adding articles on doing many projects the hobbyist gunsmith can do. Refinishing stocks, cold and slow bluing, rust removal, checkering + some wood working tips and tricks, even some elementary ballistics. Be patient with me, I have to write it and get work out the shop's door. It will be showing up though.

Take care,
Chris

No patience, here. Let's go, Chris. Your fans are waiting.:p

Sounds great. I'm anxious to see it when you get it up and running.:flag:

GAnaturalist

As far as I know, and I have looked at them both, you can not carve out a 22lr. stock to accept a 22mag. There is just not enough wood. The 22mag reciever is a good bit longer.