Sugar Cane Stalks

sweet 16

Just a reminder....Next time ya'll take the children to the camp make sure they get to experience eatin suger cane from the stalk. When I was growing up this man that was retired from the railroad would grow it. All the kids in the neighborhood would circle around and eat it as fast as he could cut the husk away. As some of the kids grew up, he would teach them how to use a pocket knife and cut it for the youngsters. Should be good, not much rain. Makes it sweater. Ha, the Syrup is show nuff good to.

GeauxLSU

Growing up in south Lousisana, when they burned the fields, chewing cane was a BIG TIME treat. The fire really brings the sugar up and I ate myself to a stomach ache on more than one occasion... :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

teethdoc

Down in the Dominican Republic, there was this old guy who had a juice machine attatched to the back of a bike. It would squeeze the juice out of the sugar cane wich would later be made into an adult beverage, but it was GREAT straight out of the juicer.

Hoyt

Back in the 50's in Crisp Co. my uncle who was a game warden took myself, brothers and another couple of uncles out one night to get some cane juice. We were all kids except for my game warden uncle. We went to a cane grinder..used mules back then to grind the cane..and he thought it was funny to lead us into an electric fence. My mother used to make some good taffy out of that cane syrup.

Al33

It's been a long time...........

since I gnawed on piece of cane. As kids, that was real treat. Natural candy.

Good reminder here Sweet16. :clap: