Who Needs a Pocket Knife?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
The World stops if I lose one.................until I can replace it.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
just got the itch for a new pocket knife.
looked up old timer > imported.
I know I've seen buck at wally world > imported.

what's an affordable USA made pocket knife

Here`s my present everyday carry knife. Tractor Supply for around $20.

Attachments

• P5270001_crop.jpg
    P5270001_crop.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,190

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Go NOWHERE without one....except the airport. :banginghe

more than once I've had to put mine in checked baggage or go back to the truck at the court house.

Backlasher82

Most Kershaws are made in the US but some are made in China so look at the blade first, it'll have the country on it. All of the Ken Onion Kershaws are made in the US, I carry a Chive every day but I also have a Leek, Scallion, and a few others. All good knives.

stringmusic

I'm not sure what you think is affordable, but benchmade is made in the USA.

stringmusic

Also, if you find a knife you like on the benchmade, or any other companies website, check eBay and you can usually buy it a pretty good bit cheaper.

T-N-T

I carry a razor knife at work every day. Constantly doing unspeakable things to the blades. Thus a "real" knife is out of the question for my 9-5.

Weekends come round and I carry a more sophisticated purtier one.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
My brother and I slipped Dad's Case into his pocket at the funeral home.

southGAlefty

Dad gave me one of his Old Timers he "lost" and later found. Fell out of my pocket mowing the grass one day and I found it a few months later by chance. It now resides in the safe to be passed down to my boy at some point and I bought myself a Benchmade to carry everyday.

Backlasher82

I'm not sure what you think is affordable, but benchmade is made in the USA.

The coolest knife I ever saw was a Benchmade, many years ago at a knife store in Roswell.

It looked like a regular pocket knife except the blade didn't swing open, you pressed down on the back of the blade with your thumb, gave your thumb a little flick forward and the blade slide straight out and locked into place. It was so smooth yet tight tolerances you could tell it was well made. It was pretty pricey for back then but I lusted in my heart for that knife.

Dr. Strangelove

Most Kershaws are made in the US but some are made in China so look at the blade first, it'll have the country on it. All of the Ken Onion Kershaws are made in the US, I carry a Chive every day but I also have a Leek, Scallion, and a few others. All good knives.

Well... my everyday is a Kershaw 1640ST Vapor. It does say "Design by Ken Onion", but the blade is marked China. It was a groomsman gift from a childhood friend 15 years ago or so. I thought I had lost it, but found it in a recent move.

I keep a wee Gerber titanium (refers to the coating, not the blade material, I believe) on my keychain.

I also have several tri-blade traditional "pocket knives" (Buck, Uncle Henry) given to me by long deceased relatives that I don't carry anymore, except to family events. I couldn't stand to lose them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have a Case Sodbuster Jr. that I started carrying in 1975, and I still carry it on occasion. My daily carry is a razor blade knife to cut open cardboard boxes, and a Kershaw for everything else

Pop

I lost count on how many knives that I have. As said above if I have my pants on I have my knife in my pocket.
Been collecting knives for over 50 years and still get the urge to buy more. Picked up a Case Canoe (pre 70s) knife at an auction in December for $20 dollars and was really tickled about a great deal.
I have so many knives that I switch out on my daily carry about every 3 or 4 months. Usually carry a Case single blade yellow handle or old style Gerber single blade. I am not really keen on the new knives, for one they are too expensive and its hard to find one with good steel like an old knife.
Like most of you my first knife was before 1st grade and the most prized knives that I have is one my Grandma gave me that she cut her plug tobacco with (Case Canoe), one that belonged to my Dad (Case Stockman) and One that belonged to my Father in law (Small Old Timer).

You can never have too many pocket knives. Just ask an old timer.

BTW: How many out there has ever dropped pocket knives with someone. (anybody know what I am talking about)

drippin' rock

I buy every quality knife I can find at flea markets and yard sales. Some times the prices are too high, but typically I can find barlows for 2 or three dollars. I love cleaning and oiling them. They aren't worth much, but they remind me of my grandfather. I buy Swiss Army knives, USA bucks, case, Camillus, or just about any quality vintage knife. My wife just rolls her eyes.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
. . .

BTW: How many out there has ever dropped pocket knives with someone. (anybody know what I am talking about)

Are you talking about playing mumbly peg? I used to play in the elementary school at recess. Imagine that in today's PC society.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Been an awful long time but I have.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Great read

Pop

Years ago I would go over to the hog barn or cattle barn in Lathem Town every Wednesday afternoon and there would be a good number of old timers sitting around discussing everything under the sun and there was always some knife swapping, gun trading and anything else they could trade on. I have gotten my tail burnt more than ones by those guys. It was always fun to listen to them when they thought they had the best of you. They would talk about it for weeks.
I remember dropping knives with one of them and he had a Case that he was whittling with and he put it in his pocket, a few minutes later he comes over to me and asked if I wanted to drop knives with him. Know that he had the Case I jumped right in. He reached in his pocket and I did the same, as we dropped our knives on the ground I realized that he had set me up and switched knives. I lost a real good Tree Brand that day and wound up with an old Boker with a broken blade and a good lesson learned.

cramer

Gerber, Gerber + Case when fishing.

My FIL would sharpen any pocket knife with a piece of cardboard. First time he showed me I couldn't believe it.