Keeping the edge on a knife

Gaswamp

I know a lot of guys struggle with sharpening knives. The key is maintaining an edge. After each use you need to touch up an edge to straiten the folds. I have found a couple of options that work best for me to maintain an edge so I don't have to go thru the process of re-sharpening. Unfortunately my wife forgets from time to time on her kitchen knives and I have to re-sharpen a few but if u get u one of these systems you can keep a sharp knife sharp pretty easy.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Get one of the line crew boys to give you the rod out of a 400 watt high pressure sodium light bulbs. It, a butchers steel, and a diamond rod are all I ever use any more. I don`t even use my big bench stone much anymore.

Gaswamp

Get one of the line crew boys to give you the rod out of a 400 watt high pressure sodium light bulbs. It, a butchers steel, and a diamond rod are all I ever use any more. I don`t even use my big bench stone much anymore.
thanks I will look into that. Only time I use stones is when someone asks me to resharpen a dull knife. but don't think u need but these ceramic rods and maybe a leather strop to maintain an edge

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Been using that Steamboat product for 30 years at least... It's a good one.

They were unavailable for a long time, glad to see it back.

That other thing looks good too, but I ain't never seen one.

Gaswamp

Got the lansky and work sharp...they good but don't compare to the ones I mentioned imho

Gaswamp

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Lanskey makes the same one for about half the price, and it’s portable. I’ve had one for 8 years or so. Every so often just clean the rods with a wet paper towel and some comet or Ajax. They work fine. They generally have them at Academy outdoors.View attachment 1230689
Get you one of those big hand held pencil erasers and those rods clean right up.

ScLowCountry

Screenshot_20230603-223309.png
This hands down is the easiest and fastest way to sharpen your pocket knife. Especially if it's quality hard steel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603-223309.png
    Screenshot_20230603-223309.png
    468.2 KB · Views: 10

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I’ve never tried one if those. Hard to beat the Comet……a couple simple swipes and they shine like new money, always have it around the house . I mite give it a try. (y)

Same here. The Comet or Ajax works good, but I`m gonna try the eraser.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
That's all H22 uses. He has a Lanskey, but doesn't use it anymore. Nothing like a good SHARP knife.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
When the rods get slick and you don't feel them biting the steel anymore, the pores have filled up with metal shavings. The eraser cleans them out. I've never tried Ajax though.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I’ve never tried one if those. Hard to beat the Comet……a couple simple swipes and they shine like new money, always have it around the house . I mite give it a try. (y)
Comet or Ajax, probably most household cleansers will clean the pores of a ceramic rod. Baking soda too with soap. Recently started using spray cans of brake cleaner to clean Arkansas stones and emery stones. This works great.

Gaswamp

Generally I use a green 3m pad with some dawn, but thanks for the tidbit about the eraser