Swallow Creek WMA

Zachross96

Me and my buddy are planning a trip to go bear hunting and deer hunting at swallow creek in December, we are both from south Georgia and have never been hunting in the north Georgia mountains. I have done some hiking in the mountains but never hunted. I'm NOT asking for spots or places to go. I would just like to get some opinions about the WMA in general and about animal population and maybe some of the trout fishing. We are going to camp out there but would like to know what we are getting ourselves into before we drive 5hours to get there and want to make sure we are prepared for the worst. Thanks.

GSPEED

Me and my buddy are planning a trip to go bear hunting and deer hunting at swallow creek in December, we are both from south Georgia and have never been hunting in the north Georgia mountains. I have done some hiking in the mountains but never hunted. I'm NOT asking for spots or places to go. I would just like to get some opinions about the WMA in general and about animal population and maybe some of the trout fishing. We are going to camp out there but would like to know what we are getting ourselves into before we drive 5hours to get there and want to make sure we are prepared for the worst. Thanks.
You should look at Game check numbers for the last few years. Bring plenty to keep warm as it can be cold that time of year. Good luck.

jbogg

It’s beautiful country. Something like onXmaps would be very helpful as well as a good pair of boots that are broke in. Plan on doing more scouting than hunting until you find some fresh sign to hunt. Good luck.

chrislibby88

You should look at Game check numbers for the last few years. Bring plenty to keep warm as it can be cold that time of year. Good luck.
Man I wouldn’t worry about game check. I hunt a WMA not far from swallow creek, and you would think it’s void of deer based on the game check numbers. I get on deer every year, and have killed my nicest two bucks off this property. Bring good boots, and wear layers So you can add remove as needed. The mountains are tough, there are pockets containing high deer numbers, then dozens of square miles between those pockets that may not have anything but squirrels. Like Jbogg said, find some fresh sign, until then I would keep walking. Some of those mountain food plots can be very productiv, especially the more remote ones down closed roads that others won’t walk to. I personally like to find saddles with fresh sign and good trails leading into them. Don’t set up on 2-3 rubs, or one pile of scat. When you find a deer hole you’ll know it. There will be an overwhelming amount of sign.

Wouldnt hurt to level up your cardio before going. A mile in the mountains is harder than 3 miles in south GA.

If you are going to Swallow Creek better plan on a hiking trip. Hike, hike, hike and hike again. Lots of hiking! Really no special place, check plots, ridges, saddles, etc.

preacher

It's beautiful up there, and if you're willing and able to walk far in steep country you should do well.

Robust Redhorse

Since you won't have time to do serious scouting, I would recommend using one of these approaches:

1) Use a map, find a saddle in the ridges and sit there (have a couple of fall back positions, if there is already a truck parked there when you get there)

2) Use a map, find a food plot and sit on a down-wind approach ridge (where you can see into the food plot). (have about 4 back-up food plots to this approach)