Swamper

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I don't recall a year where all the major rivers in my area have been near flood stage.

Last Wednesday, the bird was out of the tree when I went to him on the river swamp edge. He first responded at 300 yards or more to a series of yelps on mouth call. I was able to pinpoint his location and move closer through cover. Set up was just inside the swamp canopy next to the hill. Inside the canopy was an open strip of dry land about 20 yards wide towards what I thought was his location. I was between the “shoreline” and outer edge of river bottom. He didn’t respond to any calls until I pulled out my glass Lil Deuce and ran a series of high pitched clucks—he gobbled unseen from under 25 yards. I had a window of clear view to the edge of the hill which was mature pines and broom sedge. When he first popped into view, he was under 20 steps with head and neck held high. Gun is my Yildiz TK12 equipped with a Sumtoy choke and Burris Fast Fire III. My handload is 2 ¾” 1 3/8 oz. of #9 TSS. The gun has replaced my single-shot 20 ga. MP18 Baikal as my heavy artillery turkey gun not because it is a 12 gauge, but because as rigged it weighs a pound and a quarter lighter at 4.25 lbs. than the 20 ga.

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_121130389 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240410_121130389 (1).jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20240410_141028466 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240410_141028466 (1).jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 92

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great hunt and beautiful gobbler , congrats !

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Congrats Gil

a 4.25lb 12ga shooting TSS doesn't sound like a lot of fun :rofl:
Like any other light gun with a 1.375 oz. load, pattern board is one thing, shot at a bird, another thing. Slip on pad while patterning helps. I've carried enough heavy guns season after season and the trade off with a light gun is worth it to me at my age. Gil

Hillbilly stalker

I still use a little deuce on occasion. Congratulations on a fine hunt and fine bird. :rockon:

turkeykirk

Congratulations!

Gaswamp

Not to mention a $160 shotgun from Academy...
imagine they have a little more money in them by the time you take them to the woods

GLS

imagine they have a little more money in them by the time you take them to the woods
As far as the necessities, choke and red dot and mount, all of which seem to be added on even the most expensive jamomatics, the total cost is still lower than most by a large amount. The solid rib makes a good base for drilling and tapping the red dot mount without penetration into the barrel. Gil

GLS

I got one in my vest also,you would be surprised how good it sounds with right striker.
I followed a man's lead and converted several of the Lil Deuces into aluminum calls. I broke out the glass surface by placing it on a sheet rock screw on a cutting board and mashing the call downwards. The screw head was small enough to prevent breakage of the soundboard. Brookside Game Calls has the right sized (3") aluminum disks. Silicone cement is used to secure it in the pot. Truth be told, I like the glass surface sound better. Gil