Sweet Taters

B. White

It had been a long time since I had enough space to plant them and couldn't find any slips last year. I ordered online early this year and got green sticks with no leave or roots. I have sold a lot more slips than I've planted in my life and all had leaves way back when they came in crates.

I kept these watered when planted and after two weeks I might have lost two at most out of 100. It has been a couple of days, so those two may have put leaves on by now. I'm glad I planted them where there is some evening shade. I had a few sprouting in the kitchen when I saw no roots and no leaves and I semi-buried them in a container. They are taking off so I may add another half row.

B. White

Went around them with a hoe this am and counted 106 living and two that were not. There were also some small ones I had dropped that took root, so it looks like their method works fine. It probably is less likely to carry disease with less foliage, but they sure did look odd sticking out of the ground with no leaves the first few days.

ngamtns

We ordered from Steele plant company out of Tennessee in 2020. The more slips you bought the better the deal. 500 slips wasn’t any fun. Last couple years I have grown my own slips. 8 or 10 lbs of grocery store sweet potatoes will produce a lot of slips. Either grow them in a raised bed or container with garden soil or mushroom compost.

B. White

We ordered from Steele plant company out of Tennessee in 2020. The more slips you bought the better the deal. 500 slips wasn’t any fun. Last couple years I have grown my own slips. 8 or 10 lbs of grocery store sweet potatoes will produce a lot of slips. Either grow them in a raised bed or container with garden soil or mushroom compost.

I plan to use some of these for next year. I'm not going to try for more than 200 at a time with just the two of us. I'm letting the three I've had in potting soil on the porch for the past two weeks have grow and I'll cut the slips. They have taken off this week, but it is so dry I don't want to plant them now, so I'll let them go another week.

B. White

Hope you can keep the deer off of them!

I can. They don't like three strands of wire knee high, hind end high and chest high when it is hooked to the charger. I've got iron and clay peas waist high on one ft rows to shade out grass in the areas I will plant for the fall. I see one looking in every once in a while, but nothing has tried to get in for a while. The poor old boxer sits at the house and watches me from afar after he figured out it would bite him. He won't come close.

crackerdave

I love homegrown sweet taters!

My electric fence had pieces of foil with peanut butter folded in.One good jolt to the brain via the tongue or nose will flat train one!

I accidentally tried it out once when I contacted a wire with my sweaty forehead.It knocked me down!

Last edited: